Removal of Transponder Chip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emorycc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am interested in buying a switchblade modify key for my 2004 jeep liberty renegade. <<<4 Buttons Remote Flip Folding Key Shell Case for Chrysler Dodge Jeep 3 1 Panic | eBay>>> Obviously i have to get the transponder chip from my oem gray key out. Has anyone removed their transponder chip before? Does the key housing split into two? The fob part is easy to transfer and the actual key can be cut for $2-5 at Homedepot. The only thing i am worried about it the transponder chip. Please help! Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 8.28.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 8.28.33 PM.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 23

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip removal

There is a video on You Tube on how to split open the transponder key and removing the chip. Search for how to remove immobilizer chip. It is straight forward - just split the seam of the grey plastic with a razor blade to expose the chip and remove it. The video showed people removing the chip and gluing it within 3 inches of the lock so the owner could use replacement keys without the chip. They did this on old cars to avoid having to have expensive security keys made.