*!#!$* key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
Just bought an '07 Liberty that came with one fully functional key and fob.

I got two new keys cut and the chips programmed, and they run the Jeep just fine. Unfortunately they won't lock/unlock the doors or hatch remotely, and the panic buttons don't work. I've tried everything the owner's manual says, but bear with me and lmk if I'm doing something wrong:

1) Turn original working key and fob to "on" position. While in ignition, press and hold "unlock" for about 7 seconds, press "panic" for a couple seconds and then release both at the same time.

From this point I leave the key where it is, still in the on position. I take one of the chip programmed new keys, press lock/unlock at the same time and release. I quickly press hatch or panic and release. Nothing. I've set there for 2 or 3 minutes waiting for the magical chime that never comes.

Feel free to point and laugh, just as long as you have a good idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I never got it to work right. Even with two good keys I couldn't get a third key programmed. Changing the fob options didn't fully work either. For some reason the CRDs fobs don't allow all the choices. Probably programmed by a bunch of passive agressive disagreeable geeks and written up by a nerd lacking a full understanding of the language.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 required the pin and a programmer to program with only 1 good fob.

i used an x431 programmer.

smooth sailing with the correct pin.

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
I never got it to work right. Even with two good keys I couldn't get a third key programmed. Changing the fob options didn't fully work either. For some reason the CRDs fobs don't allow all the choices. Probably programmed by a bunch of passive agressive disagreeable geeks and written up by a nerd lacking a full understanding of the language.
Thanks turble - I kinda have a feeling that this is something I'll just live with. At least they unlock the driver's door manually and run the engine, and once the Jeep's, on the interior controls can do most of the rest.

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
06 required the pin and a programmer to program with only 1 good fob.

i used an x431 programmer.

smooth sailing with the correct pin.
Hi Dad -
I got the new key chips programmed with the four digit pin code, so I actually have 3 valid keys right now. I SHOULD be able to program the fobs on the 2 new ones from just one. Then again, maybe not.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

If the keys start the jeep, should be able to have the rke see them.

Mine had only 1 key and i did not have the pin. My service guy was a hard player and did not want to give me the pin. I found a parts guy who i knew a few years ago and he was able to get it for me.

with the x431 tool, i was able to access the module, match the keys, and match the fobs up.

Trainmaster

Reaction score
The problem lies with the $8 Chinese fobs. Some work, some don't. Some sometimes work partially. They are just junk, but if you price the OEM Chrysler keys, you'll probably choose to deal with the inconvenience.

AdamG

Reaction score

I got two new keys cut and the chips programmed, and they run the Jeep just fine. Unfortunately they won't lock/unlock the doors or hatch remotely, and the panic buttons don't work. I've tried everything the owner's manual says, but bear with me and lmk if I'm doing something wrong:

1) Turn original working key and fob to "on" position. While in ignition, press and hold "unlock" for about 7 seconds, press "panic" for a couple seconds and then release both at the same time.

From this point I leave the key where it is, still in the on position. I take one of the chip programmed new keys, press lock/unlock at the same time and release. I quickly press hatch or panic and release. Nothing. I've set there for 2 or 3 minutes waiting for the magical chime that never comes.

Feel free to point and laugh, just as long as you have a good idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
The problem lies with the $8 Chinese fobs. Some work, some don't. Some sometimes work partially. They are just junk, but if you price the OEM Chrysler keys, you'll probably choose to deal with the inconvenience.
I think that's exactly what I ran into. Fobs bought online for cheap. I had them cut and the chip programmed at local Ace hardware store, and they did a good job at a great price. I could have lived with keys that just unlocked the driver's door and worked in the ignition, but they both started setting off the panic alarm when I'd stick them in the door. Starting the Jeep stopped the alarm... for now.

Anyway, I'm returning them for a refund and will bite the bullet and get one spare key/fob through the local Jeep dealership. Wanna guess how much it'll cost to get the key cut and programmed? Did you guess $280? WHAT A RACKET!

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need 2 good keys to actually program a third one. All the Ace store did was clone the key you got cut there unless they have something to connect to your Jeep so that they can actually add a new key but usually only Jeep dealers and some locksmiths will have these computers.

I was able to program the cheap ebay keys I got for my 2006 after getting them cut and following instructions in the manual or online. Those cheap ones should be able to be programmed if the Jeep dealer programs it into the PCM on the vehicle like the factory keys are

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
You need 2 good keys to actually program a third one. All the Ace store did was clone the key you got cut there unless they have something to connect to your Jeep so that they can actually add a new key but usually only Jeep dealers and some locksmiths will have these computers.

I was able to program the cheap ebay keys I got for my 2006 after getting them cut and following instructions in the manual or online. Those cheap ones should be able to be programmed if the Jeep dealer programs it into the PCM on the vehicle like the factory keys are
The guy at Ace called the dealership and managed to wrangle the 4 digit PIN required to program the keys out of them. I figured with 3 valid keys I would be able to program the fobs following the owner's manual instructions. Nope. Also, at least one of the fobs were iffy - the battery wouldn't snap in tightly.

I've programmed keys for my '03 Rubi with no problem, but I give up on the Liberty. I'll let the dealership fart around with it and make it work.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have a better Ace Hardware than we do, they didn't even want to cut my keys

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only have 1 working key, making fully functioning duplicates requires direct plug-in to the vehicle's OBD port with the proper equipment. If the person at Ace did not do this, I can guarantee you that he only did a cloning, regardless of whether he got a PIN or not. Unless you found some sort of unicorn, places like Ace, Home Depot, Autozone, etc only have equipment that does cloning. Cloning allows you to start the vehicle, but won't help you on the remote end. In fact, if you look at the key blanks they have at these places, you will see they are entirely remoteless. It just the actual physical key with imbedded transponder.

Cloned keys will not allow you to make duplicates on your own. A dealer or properly equipped locksmith are generally going to be your only options for getting that key fob to work.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an EVIC(the thing above the rearview mirror)? If so, through the setting menu there, you can program FOBS. I have done so to at least 3, all of which came from random Asian countries b/c I wanted glow in the dark keys.

That's only the fobs, not the keys. I only have 2 keys, but 3 fobs(one melted in my house fire and was lost)

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
Do you have an EVIC(the thing above the rearview mirror)? If so, through the setting menu there, you can program FOBS. I have done so to at least 3, all of which came from random Asian countries b/c I wanted glow in the dark keys.

That's only the fobs, not the keys. I only have 2 keys, but 3 fobs(one melted in my house fire and was lost)
Nope, no EVIC. Still, I should have been able to program the fobs following the instructions in the owner's manual.

Jay Michigan

Reaction score
If you only have 1 working key, making fully functioning duplicates requires direct plug-in to the vehicle's OBD port with the proper equipment. If the person at Ace did not do this, I can guarantee you that he only did a cloning, regardless of whether he got a PIN or not. Unless you found some sort of unicorn, places like Ace, Home Depot, Autozone, etc only have equipment that does cloning. Cloning allows you to start the vehicle, but won't help you on the remote end. In fact, if you look at the key blanks they have at these places, you will see they are entirely remoteless. It just the actual physical key with imbedded transponder.

Cloned keys will not allow you to make duplicates on your own. A dealer or properly equipped locksmith are generally going to be your only options for getting that key fob to work.
The Ace guy did plug into the OBD port with something that was supposed to enable him to program everything. I thought he was trying to read the PIN, but he couldn't get it to work. I didn't buy the keys there, just had them cut and programmed. They came with fobs that match the original key.

Anyway, I'm resigned to shelling out for one more programmed key and fob from the dealership. They'll only guarantee that the key and fob will work if I buy everything from them. With two working keys I should be able to do a third on my own once it's cut.

Ronald

Reaction score

this what I found but never tried it yet so be sure before y9u do it or take a chance , it looks OK But I say But.

Programming a Single Key​

This is what I have a Jeep Liberty 2011 low miles mint with one working Key fob because the other key chip they used to hide under the dash for my electric start , so now with one working Key Has anyone proved out this procedure will work with one new cut Fob Key that's not programmed yet .should I take a change to do this?

A handful of manufacturers will allow you to program a single key, even if you don’t have a key that works. Keep in mind that you’ll still need to have the key cut to fit the ignition, which means you’ll need to provide proof of ownership to a locksmith.

That said, the process is much simpler than programming a second or third key:

• Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it to the on position. Don’t turn on the engine, only the electronics.
  • Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and then turn it off.
  • Turn the key back on, and wait for additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds before turning it off again.
  • Repeat the process for a third time.
  • Return the key to the on position, and it will program the key.
  • Test your new key by turning on the ignition

Ronald

Reaction score

you can try this I never did but if you do let me know it it worked
[[[[
This is what I have a Jeep Liberty 2011 low miles mint with one working Key fob because the other key chip they used to hide under the dash for my electric start , so now with one working Key Has anyone proved out this procedure will work with one new cut Fob Key that's not programmed yet .should I take a change to do this?

A handful of manufacturers will allow you to program a single key, even if you don’t have a key that works. Keep in mind that you’ll still need to have the key cut to fit the ignition, which means you’ll need to provide proof of ownership to a locksmith.

That said, the process is much simpler than programming a second or third key:

• Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it to the on position. Don’t turn on the engine, only the electronics.
  • Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and then turn it off.
  • Turn the key back on, and wait for additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds before turning it off again.
  • Repeat the process for a third time.
  • Return the key to the on position, and it will program the key.
  • Test your new key by turning on the ignition ]]]]]]

Report Edit

Latest posts

Members online