remote starter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up here in the northern climes a remote starter is a real "nice to have" item, on those -40 mornings it's nice to press a button a few minutes before you leave and go out to a nice toasty vehicle. I have heard though, that some vehicles with security systems are not compatible with remote starters. Is there a way I can tell (or not) if out 04 has the optional security/anti-theft system on it?

thanks!

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the remote-start mfrs sell bypass modules for the security system. I just ordered DEI 4113. When I get it installed, I'll post about how it went.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you still want to know if you have an alarm, lock the doors and n lock it with the actual key, not the clicker.

It'll sound if you have it......:)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one in my 2007, which has antitheft. I have a DEI 562T that I installed, and there was a bypass for the anti-theft. Can't remember the number at the moment, but you can look it up online. Anti-theft still works like normal if someone tries to hotwire it.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to bypass the factory alarm.

This was the bypass module I used,DEI 555cw. About $15. Just make sure you have two working transponder keys. You'll need them to program it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to bypass the factory alarm.

This was the bypass module I used,DEI 555cw. About $15. Just make sure you have two working transponder keys. You'll need them to program it.
You must be registered for see images attach

So Shaffer, since an aftermarket remote start can be installed and work good in the KJ, how much would it cost to install the remote start system you put in then??

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The unit I put in was a cheap one. I picked it up off eBay for about $50. It's an AutoCommand OEM Series 28628.

I wouldn't recommend it though. It has extremely crappy range and I haven't been able to improve it at all. In fact, half the time I can't get my vehicle to start if the front of the vehicle(antenna) is not facing me.

I've installed about a half dozen remote car starters and these are the ones I'd recommend. You can usually pick one up for under $100 and they have 1000' range. You'll need some extra relays and resistors to wire up the keyless entry, but I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the best range, install an alarm/remote start with 2 way FM remotes. Many of them have LOS range of 2 miles and the remotes will let you know that the vehicle has started or if the alarm has been triggered.

If you've never installed a system like this before, I recommend paying someone who knows what they're doing. Also, a lot of the systems worth having do not come with wiring schematics and require a programmer.

DEI used to be top dog and gobbled up a lot of other companies, but they have hit very hard times and have been selling off some of their brands. I would not feel comfortable with one of their products these days.