Another CRD won't start thread ;)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOMD-JeepFan

Reaction score
I went to go start the Liberty this morning, but she said NO. When I turn the key, she tried to start initially, but then it seems that the starter is still winding without the starter engaging the flywheel. I am not claiming to be a mechanic, so feel free to chime in and let me know a better way to diagnose my issue. I am planning to pull the starter out (disconnecting the battery first) then attach a jumper cable from the battery to the starter to see if the solenoid is engaging the gear that engages the flywheel. Good idea? Bad idea? I initially thought that I may have air in the line, so I primed the fuel system. With the sound that I am hearing, I am leaning more towards a starter issue as opposed to a fuel issue. Should I work on bleeding the fuel lines of air first before working on removing the starter? I replaced the fuel filter housing and fuel filter in November 2020. I have to check the mileage , but I probably have less than 5k miles on the vehicle since the installation. Everything was working well yesterday when I used the vehicle, but with anything things can change in a matter of a few seconds. Any assistance would be appreciated.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Lots of info here.

first thing i would try is to listen to the engine as it tries to start. There is quite a different sound between cranking the engine and the starter motor just running. If the starter doesn’t engage the flywheel, all you hear is a high pitched whine noise.

we need to start someplace, so let’s answer this first.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sounds like the bendix drive in the starter is shot. It's a ratcheting mechanism that allows the starter gear to engage the flywheel gear and then spin at engine speed until you let go of the key. They get a bad spot which causes spinning without engagement and get worse.

SOMD-JeepFan

Reaction score
Wow. Lots of info here.

first thing i would try is to listen to the engine as it tries to start. There is quite a different sound between cranking the engine and the starter motor just running. If the starter doesn’t engage the flywheel, all you hear is a high pitched whine noise.

I bypassed the starter switch by applying 12V to the plug on the starter. I don't know how to exactly describe the sound that I hear, but I am thinking it's the engine trying to fire but not having fuel. The starter may not be the issue, so I may have a glow plug or fuel delivery issue.

SOMD-JeepFan

Reaction score
Sounds like the bendix drive in the starter is shot. It's a ratcheting mechanism that allows the starter gear to engage the flywheel gear and then spin at engine speed until you let go of the key. They get a bad spot which causes spinning without engagement and get worse.
I climbed underneath to manually start the vehicle by jumping the starter switch (spade connector on the starter). Not sure on the proper terms. The starter engages, but I hear another sound. I am thinking that it's the compression/combustion process, but without the combustion. I think I need to verify that I have fuel going into the engine. This would explain why I am hearing the combustion process starting after priming the system at the filter head, but then I get nothing.

SOMD-JeepFan

Reaction score
Wow. Lots of info here.

I need to check the easy stuff first. While reading up on some fuel delivery troubleshooting, I checked the fuse panel under the hood. The 10A Fuel Priming fuse is blown. Now, I need to figure out where that goes and what caused it to ****.

Latest posts

Members online