Regretted KJ Mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what have any of you done or spent money on that you regret? Would you do it differently, or not at all?

It's easy to me to get all wrapped up in a vehicle and want to put everything under the sun on it. I know in my last community a lot of people went farther than I in their modding (tried to keep mine reasonable and reliable) and ended up really regretting it.

I'm trying to plan out my projects...I want to add some more to the KJ (tires, seat covers, remote starter), I want to rebuild my '68 Austin Healey, and I want to work on the house (landscape, windows, garage, basement). Trying to go "middle of the road" on all three ;) :p

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only advice i can give, "if its worth doing, its worth doing right" =)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Never done anything that I regretted... everything that I did I wanted to do and I thought about it HARD before doing it. I didn't just do it... just to do it. It seems like a lot of people who modify vehicles seem to do modifications that way.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically do the same thing Marlon, and I totally agree o8k - do it right.

Guys in my W-body years put in huge cams, high stall torque converts, etc etc. Sure, their cars were pumping out well over 300 (and sometimes 400) hp from a pushrod 3.8, but driveability and reliability suffered. A lot of people ended up regretting the SEVERAL thousand dollars they put into them.

I went with middle-of-the-road mods...high ratio rockers/stock cam. 2.5" exhaust, no $800 headers (ported stock manifolds). KYB struts/Springtech lowering springs (instead of eibacks and konis or $800 gm performance springs/struts). I was very happy with mine up until the end.

I plan to do the same for the KJ. I try to be realistic about what my needs/wants are and mod accordingly.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atrus......just think it through first and you'll be ok. Sounds like you're already doing that.

You listed a remote start. I was thinking of that one but I don't know how to do the install and am real leary of messing with the wireing. I priced the Mopar one plus installation cost......and then put the idea on hold. Since my KJ stays in the garage that mod is probably not cost effective for me anyway. It would be just a toy-mod.

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave - I like the DEI units. I plan on contacting them directly to find out what would work - I know I'll need a bypass module. I like their upgraded Valet system...I think it's the Valet 2?

I've installed 4 different remote starters (always in GM vehicles though) and it was never bad to do - just need to take your time and make sure you have the correct wires. The newer starters are MUCH easier than the old ones - internal micro relays rule! I just want to make sure it'll function with the KJ properly. I refuse to buy the mopar unit because I do not want two key fobs.

Additionally, I need to really look into it...if one of these DEI starters can be used, I'd really like to have it set up so I can use a standard key (no fob on the end). I completely abhor the hugeass key these things use. I don't really give a crap if the stock anti-theft system is bypassed or not. If theives want to steal the KJ, they'll find a way. That's my take on it anyway.

My KJ is in the garage as well, but it's a detached garage and it'd be nice to warm it up. I am not cool with leaving it running with the doors unlocked, nor do I want to haul around another hugeass key or run back and forth between the garage 15 times to lock and unlock it and put the extra key away.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I regret is not doing the SFA swap from the get go,though I would have had to pay a @ss load on labor back in '04.At least now there will be almost zero labor $$$$.

dont take this the wrong way but one could model this as a regret in not getting a 2 solid axle platform from the get go vs doin the swap... but a cherokee just wouldnt look as good all fancied up the way yers is =D

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i sit eating my lunch i think what im driving at here really is i regret that DC didnt keep the sfa from the cherokee for the liberty whata shame...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont regret anything Ive done to my Jeep. Its been a learning curve for me since its the first Jeep Ive ever built up and Ive really enjoyed it.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Attempting to replace my Infinity system with my own aftermarket audio system. I miss the factory look, it lacks the power, and I can't find anyone with enough grey matter to put the factory head unit back in.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I guess I DO have a regret, thanks for reminding me, desertkj.

My factory head unit went back in a few weeks ago. It just looks so much better.

(I still miss the subwoofer though!!! Wish it worked, then I'd have been able to KEEP it, lol)

Atrus, I kept wondering why you were ranting about the huge keys, then I remembered what size keys you were coming from. Yeah, they are kinda huge in comparison to what you're used to. :)

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ditto on the no regrets too, my first jeep and ive learned sooo much, i must thank kjcountry and lost for all the great info and help. i think i would have made some bad mistakes if it werent for such a good knowledge base from my peers here.

closest to regret was when i hacked my front bumper up... i was thinking "what am i doing this is crazy" :D but it worked out i like the look...

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocky-road.com's "budget" lift and ordering UCA's from Rocky-road.com are my only regrets. I will never buy another thing from those thieves.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont take this the wrong way but one could model this as a regret in not getting a 2 solid axle platform from the get go vs doin the swap... but a cherokee just wouldnt look as good all fancied up the way yers is =D
I love my KJ and the IFS was never a problem untill the rock crawling bug hit me.I have never regretted buying my KJ,just need to mod to be able to crawl the house size boulders in my way.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roof Rack/Basket.
I love the way it looks, and it is very functional, but I hate the fact that I cannot wash the roof.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have/will have anything I'll regret.

So far I have:
2003 EVIC w/homelink
Rusty's 3/4" front spacer, 2 extra rears
Lanzar amp/10" Kappa Perfect

Plans:
Tires
Rims (MOABs maybe, not sure if I will)
Super Skink Sliders
Driving Lights (I have them, just need to put them on)
Tint front windows (maybe tint others a little darker than factory as well)
Huskey Liners (I think I'll get them for Christmas!)
Wet Okoles - I am having a hard time justifying the price, but I am sure I'll love them!
Maybe a clevis lift/something extra to level the rear.
Remote Starter
Cobra WX75 ST/Firestick AM/FM/CB antenna setup (have all pieces, just need to do it)

I think that's the whole plan for now. I am sure other little items will make their way on there, but this is the bulk of it, and it doesn't look *too* expensive.