Reese Hitch Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Reese Hitch from Autozone is pretty annoying. After Putting it together 3 times because the instruction were incorrect, I realized that the instructions were wrong. The hitch had to be mounted off center to fit. That was the first problem. The second problem was that it didn't come with the correct bolts to actually mount it to the Jeep. The ones it came with were too small.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just too stupid to install a Reese Hitch?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did they sell you the right hitch?
If the bolts are too small and it has to be mounted off center then something is wrong
I'd take it back
But then what do you expect buying from Autozone?? :shrug:

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, it had Jeep 2003 Jeep Liberty listed on the box and it had instructions designated for a 2003-2006 jeep liberty. The instructions listed the bolt that was in the box, but that bolt didn't fit. I had to go buy a different one. I had to go to autozone because I was going on a trail run the next day and didn't have time to order one. I just wonder if I have a freak liberty or if Reese just screwed up.:shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Highly doubt that your KJ is any different than the thousands on the road.
All KJs / KKs bolt up the same
I'd still take it back, what if you want to pull a trailer some day ?

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one of those universal Reese ones on and it worked fine on my 02. Only complaint is it hangs down low. One day when my student loans are payed off I would like to get one that sits up higher... Anyhow I would take it back. I would also double and triple check everything.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its only about an inch off center. I wonder if that would screw stuff up while pulling a trailer. I mainly just bought it to get pulled out of mud when I get stuck. It worked I just think its strange that the parts listed in the instructions written specifically for a jeep liberty didn't work with mine. I suggest no one buy this one because even the instructions are incorrect meaning the hitch I bought couldn't be a dud since the instructions would be the same in the thousands of hitches manufactured.

Reese Towpower/Trailer Hitch (37042) | AutoZone.com

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its only about an inch off center. I wonder if that would screw stuff up while pulling a trailer. I mainly just bought it to get pulled out of mud when I get stuck. It worked I just think its strange that the parts listed in the instructions written specifically for a jeep liberty didn't work with mine. I suggest no one buy this one because even the instructions are incorrect meaning the hitch I bought couldn't be a dud since the instructions would be the same in the thousands of hitches manufactured.

Reese Towpower/Trailer Hitch (37042) | AutoZone.com

Thats the same one I got. You sure you did not mount one bracket outside and one inside? My installed w/o any problems. Could be a fluke. Or maybe I just got one that was right ha ha.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya. I'm sure. We even took it apart and re-assembled it. I make sure everything was exactly like the instructions. I must have screwed something up then. I swear I went over it several times. I even had a buddy with me and we both left with the conclusion that the product was designed wrong.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya. I'm sure. We even took it apart and re-assembled it. I make sure everything was exactly like the instructions. I must have screwed something up then. I swear I went over it several times. I even had a buddy with me and we both left with the conclusion that the product was designed wrong.

Were you drinking? Lol. No it happens. Maybe you got a wrong/bad part or something. I would make sure everything matches up side to side and if it all seems right and its off, bring it back. One of those tubes could have got drilled wrong who knows.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q

I know others may have installed that Reese hitch and it functions...but personally I would never put a "universal" hitch on my vehicle.

The one from AutoZone is designed to fit on several different vehicles not just the Liberty. The hassle you've experienced relates directly to the fact the hitch design has to take into account the variety of vehicles it's supposed to fit - which means it won't fit ANY of them very well.

Go to a place like etrailer.com - check out the different hitches listed here. Free shipping, they come with the exact bolts you need for your Jeep, only $40 - $60 more than you paid for the universal hitch...and they're custom fit! When you take into consideration the time you and your buddy have expended - to say nothing of the frustration - you would be money ahead buying a custom fit hitch. Even your local U-Haul store would be about the same price and they'll even install it.

EDIT: Here's another option - and the one I used when I added the factory hitch to my Jeep. I purchased mine for $60 from LKQ Online, an auto salvage company based near me. I did a quick search and they have this one for $75 - shipping would take you to $150 but that's slightly less than a new one. Maybe a salvage outfit in St. Louis would have one cheap - you just buy the proper bolts from a company like Fastenal or a trailer/truck cap retailer or RV store.

Bob

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from hitch web and had free shipping and no duty so win win for canada.

Mounts up flush at bottom of bumper. 6 bolts. Use a tap to clear out the holes.

Put 2 of them most of the way in to hold it above your head and line up the rest before torquing down and your golden.