Redoing system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just decided to redo all wiring and stereo equipment in my cargo area. Here is what i have done so far.
You must be registered for see images attach

I was thinking of using plexi to cover the amp, but i am not sure about the thickness i need. I still want to be able to put stuff on top of it when i need to.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress.

Sub and Cover comes out as one piece.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of using plexi to cover the amp, but i am not sure about the thickness i need. I still want to be able to put stuff on top of it when i need to.
Are you going to cover the amp and radio both with plex or just the amp? I would think with the divider between the two sections that 1/4" plex would be plenty, but unless you put a towel or something over it the plex will get scratched by whatever you throw on it. I think I'd just make another cover section like you have teh sub mounted on, but that's just me. I still run the factory radio because most of what I listen to in the Jeep is AM talk radio... :D ;)

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to cover the amp and radio both with plex or just the amp? I would think with the divider between the two sections that 1/4" plex would be plenty, but unless you put a towel or something over it the plex will get scratched by whatever you throw on it. I think I'd just make another cover section like you have teh sub mounted on, but that's just me. I still run the factory radio because most of what I listen to in the Jeep is AM talk radio... :D ;)

The two area that isnt covered, will have one sheet of 3/4" plex covering them (just ordered today). Yeah, i plan to have a blanket back there to cover the plexi when i need to.

By the way, that isnt a radio. Whats back there is my amp, an Alpine PXA-H701 (so that i can have surround sound), and a computer.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that extinguisher safe there? I am not really sure about the pressure resistance on those, but in a rear end collusion -god forbid- wouldn't be a problem.

Oh and so sorry we couldn't make that meeting. Been out of the country, but let's do it soon.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that extinguisher safe there? I am not really sure about the pressure resistance on those, but in a rear end collusion -god forbid- wouldn't be a problem.

Oh and so sorry we couldn't make that meeting. Been out of the country, but let's do it soon.

I think it would take one heck of a rear end collision, with the rear end completely collapsing several inches, to cause a problem.

No problem, just let me know next time you want to meet up.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got a second battery in the cargo area.. Just noticed!

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Hi billforde
A fellow kj'er on thsi site referred me to you.
I aw some pic sof your interior and was wondering how you painted the two whitetrim bezels on either side of your steering wheel. I have a blue Jeep and wanted to color code my interior bezels teh same color as teh outside. My bezels are textured. So how did you get yours smooth. Did you primer and then color it? What brand of paint did you use? Where can I find teh part numbers for those bezels as I may want to buy non-textured ones?

Thanks for the advice
E

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi billforde
A fellow kj'er on thsi site referred me to you.
I aw some pic sof your interior and was wondering how you painted the two whitetrim bezels on either side of your steering wheel. I have a blue Jeep and wanted to color code my interior bezels teh same color as teh outside. My bezels are textured. So how did you get yours smooth. Did you primer and then color it? What brand of paint did you use? Where can I find teh part numbers for those bezels as I may want to buy non-textured ones?

Thanks for the advice
E
You must have looked at my site, i need to up date those pics, since the white has been repainted silver to match the exterior color. The white was done with krylon paint for plastic. I didnt have to prime with the krylon paint.

If you are looking to color match, you can order the exact color from here http://bbjeep2.stores.yahoo.net/jetoupspca.html. You will want to use primer for best results. You can pick some up from Autozone.

My bezel werent textured, atleast i dont remember them being textured. It could be that the limiteds arent textured. The site that i used to order replacement parts from doesnt seem to work anymore www.parts4jeeps.com. I havent tried this, but you maybe able to put a light coat of bondo over it, then sand it smooth, before you paint it.

Remember when painting, spray several light coats. If you try to spray to heavy a coat, you will get runs.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my plexi

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much done, need to dolots of vacumming. Add lights, even though i wasnt planning to. The computer uses an 8Gig Solid State Harddrive (should be totally shock resistance.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is looking great. I wonder how much cargo the glass/plastic windows can carry.. Otherwise, very nice and clean install. Now, I've got to hear it!

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is looking great. I wonder how much cargo the glass/plastic windows can carry.. Otherwise, very nice and clean install. Now, I've got to hear it!

3/4" plexi has no flex. I think it shoulld be able to handle a decent amount of weight.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you use the computer for?
I wanted to a similar set up. I had one of those tiny computer enclosure which I wanted to add a touch screen computer to, then hook it up to USB GPS receiver which I already have. Then I thought about theft, and let it alone. It should be fairly easy. I already have a USB 30GB hooked up to the head unit, I thought I could hook it up to "tiny computer case" that can fit into place where Manual goes to, and then run wires to touchcreen monitor which could emulate mouse.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you use the computer for?
I wanted to a similar set up. I had one of those tiny computer enclosure which I wanted to add a touch screen computer to, then hook it up to USB GPS receiver which I already have. Then I thought about theft, and let it alone. It should be fairly easy. I already have a USB 30GB hooked up to the head unit, I thought I could hook it up to "tiny computer case" that can fit into place where Manual goes to, and then run wires to touchcreen monitor which could emulate mouse.

I have the computer connected to a touch screen. I have a 60 gig external hard drive connected to the pc so that i can listen to "lossless" wma files that i encode off my cds. I also have my GPS connected to the pc so that i can do real time capturing of my position. Also there is a wireless data card connected so that i can have internet access and upload the gps position to my website along with images from the back and front camera: http://www.inmyhappyplace.com/jeep/track.php, which hasnt been updated in a while.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bit more than what I would do.. :) Wireless data card, etc.. that's is one big production. Pretty good one, though.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the computer connected to the ODB, so that i can read all the availble info, such as codes, directly on the touch screen.