Recovery Gear Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where do ya’ll store your tow straps d rings and other goodies? With space being a commodity I am just wondering what you guys do. Thanks

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under rear seats for tow strap, jumper cables, and ice scraper for quick access. In the back under the deck for now on additional items. I have a couple of old ammo boxes I plan to mount back there eventually.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
So where do ya’ll store your tow straps d rings and other goodies? With space being a commodity I am just wondering what you guys do. Thanks

Sasquatch sells a bag for all that stuff that mounts on the spare while you're on the trail. Keeps it all together the rest of the time. Seemed like a great idea that could be done cheaply with a trip to an Army Surplus store.

I have a milk crate for all that and a bottle jack on a tarp on the seat behind the driver. Other part of the rear seat is usually down to give my dog some room.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

for my every day street driving, I keep that in the back.
can #1 is my first aid kit.
can #2 has a trifecta of fleece blankets.
can #3 has a tow strap, small electric pump, hand towel, bottle of water, and a couple disposable ponchos.
I generally run around with a receiver to D-ring adapter installed normally.
my larger collection of recovery gear (kinetic strap, extra D-rings, extensions, etc.) is in a milk crate that I can toss in the back if needed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice ^^ You could make money selling those for the KK!
I just have one large rectangular container for gear & such.
Camping = Roof basket got lots tents & camp chairs etc & rear floor is covered with more stuff to the ceiling.
Then stuff under & on top of rear seats & wherever you can find space. :)

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while I love the idea of a box like that, and have considered making one myself, my concern is it semi-permanently takes up some of the precious cargo space these things have; they're not exactly cavernous inside to begin with.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Recovery straps, d-rings, quart of oil, quart of ****** fluid , brake fluid, jumper cables, flash lights, all under rear seat ,
first aid kit under drivers seat along with gloves,
water, snacks, extra hand sanitizer, other hand cleaner under passenger seat
blankets, tools, another flash light ( all needed from minor repairs to almost complete rebuild in tool box and tool wraps in back )
Then most days two foldable chairs and a metal cooler from the very early 70s ( this doubles as storage when not filled with " liquids "
and still have space to put grocery items when doing what a KJ does ( grocery getter ) ;)

That's most of the junk I carry , tools etc that are in the back go to whatever KJ I am driving , rest is in all of them

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on a trip where I planned some beach driving a few years ago. I had all my daily gear plus straps, extra jack, jack boards, etc.. &, etc.

I had stuff stashed under seats and anywhere I could as I also had all the vacation gear. I made a list of what was where and taped it to the inside of the glovebox ( of course this filled the glove box). At least that way I might be able to find it without pulling out everything :)

I now keep a list of all the daily carry crap and where.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh also carry spare belt and idler setup in each

Recovery gear alone is not any good if it breaks down other wise
Well others break down, recovered 5 others on the road who were broke down
3 friends and two people no clue who they were LOL

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get you some storage bags with some velcro , put them up against the back seat
..I also use a tool bag or plastic tool box to store any gear i might need depending on where I'm going, just get a few tie downs and use the tie down spots in the back to keep everything seated..hell I even got my traction boards in the back with a nice bag that velcros to the bottom part of the back seat. Some Molle panels would also be a good investment you can literally put them anywhere..

kmitch

Reaction score
Only problem with a pull out storage drawer is the case of not being able to get the hatch open for whatever reason.

Say, you're doing a muddy hill climb and end up sliding backwards into a tree, and can no longer move forward (and you forgot to get the winch control out of there before you started wheeling.)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only problem with a pull out storage drawer is the case of not being able to get the hatch open for whatever reason.

Say, you're doing a muddy hill climb and end up sliding backwards into a tree, and can no longer move forward (and you forgot to get the winch control out of there before you started wheeling.)
Sounds like that comes from experience LOL

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, that would suck! :confused:

What I like about the drawer is having access to my recovery gear and air compressor, etc. without having to dig for it. Even if the trunk is full of camping gear or grocery bags, everything is easily accessible. All but the spare tire crank, I guess! I have to put the rear seats down and push the gear box forward to access that.

Another advantage: keeping gear hidden from thieves and locked up.

kmitch

Reaction score
Agree, that would suck! :confused:

What I like about the drawer is having access to my recovery gear and air compressor, etc. without having to dig for it. Even if the trunk is full of camping gear or grocery bags, everything is easily accessible. All but the spare tire crank, I guess! I have to put the rear seats down and push the gear box forward to access that.

Another advantage: keeping gear hidden from thieves and locked up.

Yep, my con-side argument is from experience. I had considered your same pro-side arguments when I put a really nice sliding drawer system in an XJ I owned. Had all my recover gear, spare parts, some camping gear, all nicely stored and prioritized.

The warning I gave above was an actual experience I had. Granted, had I followed a pre-wheeling checklist that particular issue wouldn't have crept up. I would have been able to winch myself out of the situation and gone on my merry way. As it was, it took some time for someone else to maneuver and winch me out.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also that “push on the tailgate while you pull on the latch” thing that XJ’s do, LOL. :p

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good Prof.

about a year ago, I expanded my "get home bag" into a small backpack.
Firestarter, bundle, lighters, flashlight, batteries, knife, multitool, MRE, water bottle with purification filter, poncho/shelter half, expanded first-aid kit, etc.

Latest posts

Members online