Rear Wiper Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next thing to jump up and bite me on the butt is the rear wiper. When I bought the Liberty I turned the Rear Wiper on and it sounded like the blade was super hard and stuttering across the window. I stopped at the parts store, got a new blade and replaced it and it still sounds like a coffee can full of walnuts rolling down the stairs. I searched the forum and did not come up with anything similar. Anyone have any insight?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the glass and also take off the rear tire and "exercise" the spring that is tensioning the arm. Probably hasn't moved in years.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could dirt and moist entered there, some wd40 should help cleaning it out.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could dirt and moist entered there, some wd40 should help cleaning it out.

Yes and yes, but wd40 does not last. when I did mine I used a graphite lubricant after I freed it up. Seems to be holding out. Just be careful, the over spray will discolor your other than dark vehicle.Mine is black so I didn't bother, but you should place a paper or cardboard behind as to not get any on your vehicle.

Bert

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firstly I cleaned the glass - No change. I then sprayed the window with the glass cleaner to ensure it was good and wet - No change. I am sure the motor/gearbox is failing. The part is cheap enough at about $40 and the removal/installation is not difficult, so I think that is the solution. I probably could take it apart and lube it and get a bit more service out of it, but I say "Once & Done" is my best choice.