Rear window wiper issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty Sport with the 3.7 V6 and 4x4. Recently I noticed when I braked, the rear windshield wiper would activate. The wiper would generally make 2 cycles before turning off. I braked several different times and the wiper activated. It seems with light brake pedal pressure it owes not activate. If I apply moderate pressure the wiper activates. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this ?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty Sport with the 3.7 V6 and 4x4. Recently I noticed when I braked, the rear windshield wiper would activate. The wiper would generally make 2 cycles before turning off. I braked several different times and the wiper activated. It seems with light brake pedal pressure it owes not activate. If I apply moderate pressure the wiper activates. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this ?
Sounds to me like the brake lights are shorted to the rear wiper circuit. Only logical explanation I can think of. Given the way things are wired up back there, I would suspect it is the driver side brake light wiring which is closest to the flex tunnel that has the supply to the wiper. Will literally have to pull the interior trim panels and physically follow the wires manually. Once the damaged area is found, a bit of treatment with proper electrical tape and you are back to normal. I would follow the brake light wires from the bulb back first. Mark it with a bit of colored tape or the like. Next, follow the wiper wires from the inside of the swing gate to through the flex tunnel and to where it meets with the brake light. That will be where the source of the fault is most likely.

Latest posts

Members online