Rear UCA is shot, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO - if they keep breaking parts, there must be a lift issue not a parts issue.

Cheap parts , not breaking , just wear out
Even with the JBA extension installed and tri-link sitting at the stock angle I could go through them in just a few months . Wasn't a lift issue at all

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap parts , not breaking , just wear out
Even with the JBA extension installed and tri-link sitting at the stock angle I could go through them in just a few months . Wasn't a lift issue at all

Oh No! Not MOOG!

I've got 30 great yrs with MOOG parts!

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tom.

MOOG makes great tie rod ends and ball joints but there bushings are pretty bad and there bearings are marginal.

and what about Dorman UCA?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and what about Dorman UCA?

The only thing I've found that dorman makes that is worth using is wheel studs.

But you have to look past the incorrect markings like my front studs which are 1/2x20(SAE threads) but the base states metric grade 10.9 which is wrong and should be marked with 6 hash marks(grade 8) since it's a SAE wheel stud.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct to say that the rear UCA replacement doesnt require a wheel alignment??

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So whats the verdict on the JBA Y Link extension? Getting a mixed bag of opinions all over.
Should I assign additional 84$ for that? worth the effort/money in the long run?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So whats the verdict on the JBA Y Link extension? Getting a mixed bag of opinions all over.
Should I assign additional 84$ for that? worth the effort/money in the long run?

Worth it
Here is what happens when lifted
Tri link is put on a bind pointing downward
If you are lifted and take the tri link loose in the back it will come up about 2-3 inches depending on amount of lift . ( with just two front bolts holding it. )
It helps

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it
Here is what happens when lifted
Tri link is put on a bind pointing downward
If you are lifted and take the tri link loose in the back it will come up about 2-3 inches depending on amount of lift . ( with just two front bolts holding it. )
It helps

works well for me too, Went through 2 tri links in one year, I had to adjust it a couple of times for the correct angle -now it sits level without all the stress it had after being lifted.

Found a great condition Mopar tri - link online from out west for 60 dollars shipped.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
works well for me too, Went through 2 tri links in one year, I had to adjust it a couple of times for the correct angle -now it sits level without all the stress it had after being lifted.

Found a great condition Mopar tri - link online from out west for 60 dollars shipped.

60 dollars brand new ????
Sounds like an off brand

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wait you mean complete rear UCA assembly or you mean JBA Y link extension part?? The mopar UCAs run north of 400$ but there's some aftermarket ones from ~62$ to ~130$ but from this thread replies I understood that's a bad investment, so I'm gonna resolve to pushing new moog problem solver bushings to the existing UCA (and give it a rust treatment).

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait you mean complete rear UCA assembly or you mean JBA Y link extension part?? The mopar UCAs run north of 400$ but there's some aftermarket ones from ~62$ to ~130$ but from this thread replies I understood that's a bad investment, so I'm gonna resolve to pushing new moog problem solver bushings to the existing UCA (and give it a rust treatment).

or, buy a low cost UCA and put Moog parts in it. this way, no rust or rot concerns plus less down time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bought used OEM from a low miles jeep - some junkyard out west ( WA. ) has a bunch in stock with great photos, Was very pleased when it arrived

Hope its a good one
BUT here is the deal, maybe low mileage, but age still starts the bushings to deteriorating. Install it and it goes bad in a few months.
One guy bought 3 off of low mileage wrecks, one we installed on his had 38,000 miles and was 7 years old. Didn't last long till he was back ready to install the next one.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to go this route, purchased:
1. Moog PS-series bushings
2. Moog PS-series ball joint
3. JBA Y link extension

and do some DIY pressing out/in + rust treatment to existing OE arm.. I'll try to be careful on the pressing, wish me luck.