Rear Out Of Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alliantz

Reaction score
I took my 2003 Sport in for a front end alignment today and it turns out that in addition to my front end being out of alignment.....so was my back end.

As you know there are no standard adjustments for that.

After loosening a few bolts and using a pry bar, managed to get teh back end into an acceptable range.

How the heck does this happen?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear on a KJ is non-adjustable.You have something bent,plain and simple.All that prying only is going to mess up your rear bushings fast(maybe the reason the rear is out).

Either way the front is also not in even after the alignment since the front end is set off the rear end.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear on a KJ is non-adjustable.You have something bent,plain and simple.All that prying only is going to mess up your rear bushings fast(maybe the reason the rear is out).

Either way the front is also not in even after the alignment since the front end is set off the rear end.

I gota go with Tjkj here
If your rearend is out something is wrong

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear ,as others have stated, is not adjustable and 1 of 2 things has happened
1 the shop lied to you
2 your rear has a problem
I will help with 1 thing that is probably wrong only because I have seen it on quite a few TJ's
The control arm bushings are bad
this will cause all kinds of "funny things"
they are cheep but a PITA to change ,unless you have a shop press
the OEM rubber bushings are the best and poly is JUNK
I had poly in my TJ lasted <5K before they needed to be replaced

check your rear bushings
if they are bad replace them with OEM then have the alignment done

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The rear lower control arms comes with new bushings here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-steering-parts/liberty-kj.htm
Note that if there are cut away slots in the axle side rubber bushings of the control arm that they should be filled in with windshield urethane. Allow a few days to dry before install. This will give strength and stop cracks from forming in these gaps.
The upper tri-link also can cause problems on the upper ball joint and bushings. The upper ball joint should be inspected and replaced as necessary.

Last edited: