Rear left brake light not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmcfarlan

Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty
I have had problems with this for a year now, and now the rear left light will not come on when I turn the head lights on. I have to pull the taillight, and sometime wiggling the cord with work, sometimes I have the twist the bulb assembly. Now I have noticed that my front amber marker light will come on when I press on the brakes. Anyone have any ideas.

Darren

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty
I have had problems with this for a year now, and now the rear left light will not come on when I turn the head lights on. I have to pull the taillight, and sometime wiggling the cord with work, sometimes I have the twist the bulb assembly. Now I have noticed that my front amber marker light will come on when I press on the brakes. Anyone have any ideas.

Darren

Most of these issues are caused by bad earthing to the bulb holder....this causes all kinds of funnies to happen.

With a voltmeter measure voltage at the contact for the bulb. Use the red lead of your Multimeter on this point while the black meter lead is on the metal part of the bulb holder. You should get a reading of +12 volts.
If not....move the black lead of the meter to a clean unpainted chassis part...if you now get a reading it means your ground going to the bulb holder has gone missing.

A quick fix is to drill a small hole in the bodywork inside the rear cluster cavity. Clean the paint off and fix a wire there using a small self-tapping screw. Connect this wire to the metallic part of the bulb holder...usually this has a black wire going to ground.

Your front amber marker lamp may also have an earthing problem.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to the above, do you have an aftermarket trailer light setup? If so, try uplugging it and reconnecting straight. These items really play havoc with the electrics.