Rear glass hatch shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time questioner, longtime lurker... anyway.. on to it:freak3:
long story short my dads (now mine) 02 liberty is alittle rough. The shocks actually rotted/rusted off the window. When he turned it over to me he showed me and didnt know how they attach to the window, thats why they havnt been replaced. I was wondering if someone could tell me how its attached? right now there is a very tiny rusted point sticking out of a padded part on the back hatch glass where the shock was mounted. Has anyone else experienced this and is it fixable? or will i just have to get a new glass hatch?

Thanks in advance everyone
Nate

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
There are two round spring clips that you pop off with a small flat bladed screwdriver by the raised area.
The gas strut has a socket on both ends and the lift glass/sheet metal has a mounting pin with a small ball fitting. The strut push fits onto those two pins and the round clip locks it in place.

Last edited:

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ryan they look like this
You must be registered for see images attach

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Ya, those mounts are rotted away.
Here's a part number for the Bracket/Ballstud that get's spot welded to the lift gate panel.
55360394AC X 2
This part number for the gas lift struts:
55360171AB 2 Gas Cylinder, Liftgate Glass

And the rear Backlite would have to be replaced with new or used part in order to be able to install the gas strut.
Part number for Backlite:
55360340AP 1 Tinted glass
55360342AP 1 Privacy glass

I figured that if the mounts on ours ever break that I'd figure out a way to fit a linear actuator to one side so that I could open and close the rear backlite at the touch of the key fob!

Last edited:

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it just be easier to go to a wrecker and get a new piece of glass not rotted out and replace the gas struts with new?

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in sarnia, but are they the exact strut? just look for the part number? i was just in there today dickin around, i want the roof rack in there tho.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
im in sarnia, but are they the exact strut? just look for the part number?
I don't know if they are identical but the Princess Auto I deal with here has a cross reference chart/guide so they can find a suitable part that will work.
You don't want it too stiff or too soft* Eh...

i was just in there today dickin around, i want the roof rack in there tho.
This one?

http://www.princessauto.com/trailer...ks/8304958-250-lb-aluminum-roof-cargo-carrier
It was just on sale here for $150.00

(*That's what she said!) :D

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they are identical but the Princess Auto I deal with here has a cross reference chart/guide so they can find a suitable part that will work.
You don't want it too stiff or too soft* Eh...

This one?

http://www.princessauto.com/trailer...ks/8304958-250-lb-aluminum-roof-cargo-carrier
It was just on sale here for $150.00

(*That's what she said!) :D

i dont believe thers a chart here.. so if you found me the number i could hit up PA here and snag em. and yes thats it, its still 200 here... will that work on the stock rails, or .. well ill prolly have to make cross rails wont I Ryan?

and yes.. yes she said that haha.. im glad i have found a good humorous home:happy175:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
i dont believe thers a chart here.. so if you found me the number i could hit up PA here and snag em. and yes thats it, its still 200 here... will that work on the stock rails, or .. well ill prolly have to make cross rails wont I Ryan?

and yes.. yes she said that haha.. im glad i have found a good humorous home:happy175:

That basket measures 43-3/4" x 39-1/2" x 6-7/8".
I just did a rough centre to centre measurement of the factory roof rails, they are about 40½ inches apart, so having a pair of cross bars would be best unless you fabricate something yourself to get the basket to fit.

Check these links:
http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43091
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44705&highlight=cross+bars
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41877&highlight=cross+bars
They will give you some ideas on how to make your own cross bars.

Latest posts

Members online