Rear Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for the stupid question of the day.

I've developed the dreaded drive line vibration, and found out that the rear u-joint is shot on the rear driveshaft (gonna replace both of them with greaseable ones). Unbolted the driveshaft flange from the diff, and used a brass BFH to break it lose from the diff.

Now, time for the stupid question: I can't get the frickin' driveshaft out of the transfer case! Don't you just pull it out, like just about any other rear-wheel-drive car/truck/what not? :confused:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I too hate it when people post irrelevant answers that don't help the original question, but here I go)

I have experience taking the front driveshaft out, and I don't know how much they differ. But as I recall you push it into the transfer case and the diff end pops out. I'm assuming the same will occur with the rear.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question too. I'm due either now or real soon for U-joints. Let me know how it turned out for you. Thanks!:)