Rear differential cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all...just joined this site...been on Lost for a long time. I have a question that is well, probably pretty stupid but im going to ask anyways.

What is the reason why people get an aftermarket differential cover? I was servicing mine the other day and started thinging about this. If its just for looks seems like alot of money when you can just paint the factory one. If its for added strength, then is it really worth just adding strength to that one part...i mean more than likely the hit is going to come from the bottom not the side like that.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
They do not hang down like the stock cover,add rigidity to the center,and can handle that shot when backing up to hit it just a little harder.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two big reason for adding HD diff covers on solid axles.

1--adds strength to housing and stronger then the paper thin OE covers to take a rock hit and such.

2--raises the fill plug height because when you lift the axle get's rotated and with the OE fill plug(if in the diff cover) will now be to low and you will not get the correct amount of gear oil in the diff.

Very few aftermarket diff covers even come with a drain plug besides if changing the gear oil you want to clean that magnet on the bottom and look for big chunks of steel and basic condition of the gears themselfs anyways.

Latest posts

Members online