Rear diff. Shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been hearing this howl/whine sound coming from the passenger rear end since about november. I figured it was just a wheel bearing going out because the noise always got worse when id bank left and increased with speed. I took it to my mechanic and he said its the differential going out. He doesnt work with trans/diffs so he doesnt know for sure and cant fix it anyway. I have to change my fluid soon anyway so should i just do it myself and inspect it before i take it to somewhere else? Is there anything i should look for inside? if its really going out id rather try some "cheap fixes" if possible for as long as i can since im sure it will be an expensive job. Any ideas?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely a bad pinion bearing,common for the 8.25.The longer you wait the more $$$ it will cost.If you cathc it and fix it soon enough your looking at about a $600 or so bill if left till beyond repair expect well over $1000+ or start shopping for a used rear diff.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be a fairly cheep job if you have it done right
and done before the R&P get hosed
We had a '99 Ford 10.25 rearend rebuilt
New bearings seals and R&P for $600