rear cargo shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spr0k3t

Reaction score
I couldn't edit my post so here's another added to the thread.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys reminded me that I had all the stuff for this project already, so I went ahead and built one today. Need to cover it with something.

Last edited:

spr0k3t

Reaction score
You guys reminded me that I had all the stuff for this project already, so I went ahead and built one today. Need to cover it with something.

This is what I'm using to cover it Amazon: Marine Upholstery. You can pick stuff up like that locally from a decent car audio place.

I applied it using 3M Super 77 after I sealed the wood. Be sure to let the glue tack up a little bit before putting the carpet on it. Letting the glue tack up a little will keep the carpet from getting saturated.

spr0k3t

Reaction score
I'm not sure about minimum post count, but I tried to embed your picture for you and couldn't. Maybe the host doesn't allow hotlinking?

Much appreciated... I've used it on other forums before... so it's weird that it doesn't work here. Oh well, no big deal.

05Rene

Reaction score
I built one, very useful and inexpensive.
50.5” x 22.75” then cut the sides to fit with a jig saw. Made a template out of cardboard for the correct angles.
Also put a 2x2 across the center underneath for support.
Covered in black speaker carpet.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements in the first post. All materials are cut, blocks are glued and screwed to the underside and drying. Gray indoor-outdoor carpet is waiting to be fitted when dry. I’ll add the dowel after that’s done. Pics when complete if I can.

tssphoto

Reaction score
This is awesome! I'm doing this for sure! Looks great, nice work!

tssphoto

Reaction score
Well i decided to finally make a shelf for the cargo are of my jeep. It was easier than expected and took about an hour to actually build.

You must be registered for see images attach

Its very strong, i put 100lbs on it and it didn't flex at all. All in all not bad for $24. if you're looking to do something similar and want details just let me know and I'll put up dimensions and stuff

I started with a piece of ply wood 3/4" Thick (you can use any size you want) Cut to these specs ------v

You will also need a 1" dowel rod, 1" pipe clamps (4), and carpet of your choice to cover
Cut dowel rod to 45.5"
You will need to use the pieces you cut off to glue to the underside near the back seats to level out the shelf (as the drawing shows)
I'll be adding a sub also, same place yours is. Does the sub vibrate or rattle the shelf at all?

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally did it… My carpeting skills leave a bit to be desired, but you can’t tell by the pictures. I used OSB instead of plywood. Menards’ 2’x4’ panels looked like crap. I also used three 3/4” EMT straps for the dowel. I had them laying around, and they fit tightly. My small packout tool box fits with room to spare, and that’s the tallest bit of my load-out. I put L brackets in the back, but I cut them down with my band saw. I rounded the corners with the grinder, afterwards. I plan on adding some tie-down points, if I like it.

Latest posts

Members online