rear cargo shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really like to do this mod and was wondering what exactly I need to buy in order to do this for my 06?

I would start on the first page with the original plans and take some measurements to see if they line up. All you need is some good plywood, a dowel that fits in the cover spots (or pole) and a way to attach the dowel to the plywood. That is the base really. Customize from there!

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the rear cargo shelf, but I took it in another direction and drew up some plans for this...for the KJ.

My plans have one big drawer and its only 3-5" tall (large enough to transport my O/U 12 ga.,a few boxes of shells and some misc.) but still be able to secure bins or gear on top. The other option I am considering is the cargo drawer is the shelf (secured on top)...and then you could still store bins or gear underneath. Either way, it does limit what you can transport when you need the back seats to lay flat. Still undecided, but I really like all the conversation on the issue of more storage.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• cargo 3.jpg
    cargo 3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 236

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I finally decided I cannot postpone it any more :)

I bought a sheet of wood already covered with what-was-the-word, veneer, so that I don't need to coat it with anything later. I needed to cut also two of the corners as they were rubbing against the plastic around the opening of the boot.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, my wife didn't like the colour, so she brought the almighty grey duct tape into play and coated the shelf :)

Thanks everyone for helping me with this!

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 237

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally decided I cannot postpone it any more :)

I bought a sheet of wood already covered with what-was-the-word, veneer, so that I don't need to coat it with anything later. I needed to cut also two of the corners as they were rubbing against the plastic around the opening of the boot.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, my wife didn't like the colour, so she brought the almighty grey duct tape into play and coated the shelf :)

Thanks everyone for helping me with this!

Nicely done! I just might steal the duct tape idea just in black.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks really good, sdg! I especially like the netting and how you attached it.

PS: Your wife was right - the new color is better. :icon_mrgreen:

Sternn

Reaction score
Very nice.......And OK, now I feel shamed. I work at Lowe's and still haven't done this.:emotions122:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still debating on this...I'm leaning toward making one mainly to keep stuff hidden away from peeping eyes. I very rarely stack stuff higher than the seat backs anyway because I like the rear visibility, so not 100% sure yet if the shelf part will get much use. But...I may change my mind once it's in place. Lol!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm like you in that I'd like to keep the rear visibility. I can see where there would be occasional times I'd put things on the shelf though. Having the stuff underneath be hidden is a great idea in any case.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still debating on this...I'm leaning toward making one mainly to keep stuff hidden away from peeping eyes. I very rarely stack stuff higher than the seat backs anyway because I like the rear visibility, so not 100% sure yet if the shelf part will get much use. But...I may change my mind once it's in place. Lol!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

There is actually a good bit of space on top of it before you lose visibility. That's where I keep my fire extinguisher and I can't even see it. Also great place to put the bread and eggs.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True....I've been trying to think of all the things that I COULD put up there that would be low-profile-ish. Extinguisher is a definite item I need anyway, along with my big Maglight for easy access and always knowing where it is! I have a small list of other things as well. Still deciding. lol! :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Three cases of beer, side by side. :D

(I'm a teetotaler, so you guys will have to test that out for me.)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful of what you put on the shelf. Whatever is up there could become a bouncing, flying projectile towards the front should you rearend someone.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful of what you put on the shelf. Whatever is up there could become a bouncing, flying projectile towards the front should you rearend someone.

Agreed! I keep everything either strapped down (fire extinguisher) or below the seat line. Not a good place to store axes and such haha

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Not a good place to store axes and such haha

The way I see it, we're all going to die of something someday. At least if you went out that way you'd probably make the 6:00 News.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! If I do go with a shelf, it will have 5S locations for specific items that can be locked down! Y'all know what 5S is, right?! :p

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.