rear cargo shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would have to be a very intricate design to fold it anyway you wanted to fold it. This is a very simple design and it uses all 4 corners to hold it up, nothing at all in the middle. You could always put a couple cargo hooks on the top of it for a bungee cord, similar to the flat cargo straps in the trunks of some cars. Taking it off and storing it in the jeep? Ummm with having passengers and all I don't think it would work in the back seats anywhere. I don't know if it will sit flat in the trunk area, I've had a subwoofer ever since I put this in myself but I don't think it would work. Storing in a garage is really easy, I just tied two loops on the end of a short piece of rope and loop them around my dowel rod and hang it up on a single hook, I know it doesn't help when your out but it makes for a clean easy garage storage.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got my shelf built and mocked up in the rear of the KJ......having issues finding carpet material though.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got my shelf built and mocked up in the rear of the KJ......having issues finding carpet material though.

I left mine bare but sanded really well. I guess it depends on your interior color but I really like how mine looks without the carpet. Plus, it's easier to clean when something gets on it.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea...i really want it covered....just cant find anything. dont know exactly what i am looking for when i go to the fabric store either. lol

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems some others are using grey indoor/outdoor carpet? Should be able to find some at Home Depot

Last edited:

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lady at the fabric store suggested fleece....but i wasn't sure how it would hold up over time.

Kugellager

Reaction score
I just used several coasts of heavy speckled spray on bedliner. It has lasted years and only hs become chipped in the last year or so since I began putting baby strollers up on top of it. Some of the sharp edges on our Bob stroller have managed to chip it in a couple of places.

I think you can see mine on page two of my mods.

Of course if you want something softer that won't do.

John
];')

Last edited:

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used several coasts of heavy speckled spray on bedliner. It has lasted years and only hs become chipped in the last year or so since I began putting baby strollers up on top of it. Some of the sharp edges on our Bob stroller have managed to chip it in a couple of places.

I think you can see mine on page two of my mods.

Of course if you want something softer that won't do.

John
];')

i saw yours. this will hold a stroller a good bit of the time as well. as well as grocery bags etc. (it is my wife's after all) so i think something soft and durable is in order.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i saw yours. this will hold a stroller a good bit of the time as well. as well as grocery bags etc. (it is my wife's after all) so i think something soft and durable is in order.

What about felt? Fairly durable yet still soft and easy to manipulate.

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
fleece has held up very weel for me, Just dont haul anything sharp on it. I just hauled 18 of those 12"x12" patio stones on mine.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using mine like crazy but I have a question for you all. Mine doesn't seem to be on the top of the seat brackets but less than 1/4" and I have a fear if I haul anything it will just slip. Has anyone put any kind of L brackets on the front just to ensure it will not fall off? I know it's in there tight but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its done....found replacement carpet material at Walmart.

total investment in this shelf is $17 :)

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Been using mine like crazy but I have a question for you all. Mine doesn't seem to be on the top of the seat brackets but less than 1/4" and I have a fear if I haul anything it will just slip. Has anyone put any kind of L brackets on the front just to ensure it will not fall off? I know it's in there tight but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes I have L brackets on mine.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is sure some skill here. These look very good! I plan on making one for myself. I just hope it can look as good as these.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was a lot easier than i expected.

I did use 3/4" pipe hangers instead of 1". with the 1" dowel rod the 3/4" hangers fit nice and snug.

rocknrun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built and installed my cargo shelf today; really easy and fun project (a big thanks to all the folks who have posted pics and how tos on this). Like everyone else I used 3/4" plywood; used a 1" wooden dowel rod that seems like it will hold anything I'll put up there. Did put a couple of L brackets on the front going into the seat hooks. Used door handles from Lowes for tie-down hooks and to make it easier to remove when needed. Also added a tap light underneath. My KJ is my daily driver/mobile office. All that crap under the shelf is work related, so I'm really happy to get the extra space and security.

You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

No members online now.