rear cargo shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill pm you my number. we can meet up sometime.

i hate how my wife has the double stroller in the KJ and then plays tetris with the groceries and such. really all id have up top would be the groceries and clothes she hauls with the kids.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i measured this last night after changing out a car seat. lol
with the double stroller this shelf will not function for me :(
hopefully after the Holidays we can go down to the single stroller and hopefully it will fit. my son doesnt sit in a stroller anymore but might use it at some of the Christmas parades and such.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished this project today. Counting the hour it took for the wood glue to dry: 1.50 hours of "work". This is a great, cheap project. I spent an hour and a half of my time and $13 of my money.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I emailed all of the information on building this to my bf right after I bought Mr. Darcy ('06 Liberty) and he didn't seem to impressed, pretty much gave up on getting it built since I'm not that good at that sort of thing. :shrug:

Fast forward a few weeks to christmas morning... Got a text saying my christmas present was in my trunk. I went outside and what did I see but a brand new cargo shelf waiting for me! That sneaky guy built it and installed it without me even noticing! I thought the car smelled weird but I thought he had just been working with chemicals at work, didn't even think it was my car!

Anyway, it looks awesome, I love it! I'll take a picture and post it soon, just wanted to post my update :) Maybe this should go in the christmas thread.... oh well!

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• cargo shelf 003.jpg
    cargo shelf 003.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 481
  • cargo shelf 004.jpg
    cargo shelf 004.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 414
  • cargo shelf 006.jpg
    cargo shelf 006.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 442
  • cargo shelf 008.jpg
    cargo shelf 008.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 477
  • cargo shelf 009.jpg
    cargo shelf 009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 422

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing all of these has me itching to break out some tools and build my own. Nice way to keep stuff out of sight in the back.

Hey Kitty, quit calling it a car. Seems that things start to go wrong when the Jeep gets refered to as an inferior means of transportation!! See my sig for why. Be kind to the puppies.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to do the rear-seat-delete this spring... maybe create some new storage where the seats are now for things that need to stay out of sight.

I like the cargo shelves that you guys are coming up with. If I opted to keep the seats, I'd probably try my hand at building one also.

Hey Kitty, quit calling it a car. Seems that things start to go wrong when the Jeep gets refered to as an inferior means of transportation!! See my sig for why. Be kind to the puppies.
Quoted for TRUTH.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You're right, and I apologize for my discretion! His name is Mr. Darcy, and thus he shall be called :) Or I guess "that bad ass piece of work I have the privilege of driving around that everyone else is jealous of" would work too when not speaking in proper nouns =P

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, and I apologize for my discretion! His name is Mr. Darcy, and thus he shall be called :) Or I guess "that bad ass piece of work I have the privilege of driving around that everyone else is jealous of" would work too when not speaking in proper nouns =P

A+, much improved.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I've posted this picture other places but wanted to share the love for the cargo shelf! I'm loving my new office :)

It's also great for grocery shopping! A good friend of mine runs a catamaran charter and I help her do provisioning. Let me tell you how crazy it is to see a week of food and drinks for 6 people stacked up in the back of Mr. Darcy! I'll take a picture next time, not because it's helpful, just because it's entertaining!

drinkNfight

Reaction score
Currently making my own right now. I'll post pictures later. It seems like 1" pipe clamps are way to loose on the 1" dowel rod thought. Going to the hardware store while the blocks are clamped down with the glue drying. I'm not happy with my measure and cutting job on this one so I'm probably going to end up getting rid it after it is done. Unless it works out better than I think it will. I'm going to add rubber boots to the dowel rod ends and also plan to paint the exposed wood on the underside of the deck. I'll probably used some left over rubberized undercoating I have laying around.

Anyways thanks for the fantastic project idea! My gf hates that I turned my apartment into a wood shop but I love that I'm about to have a rear cargo deck.

timmyb457

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently making my own right now. I'll post pictures later. It seems like 1" pipe clamps are way to loose on the 1" dowel rod thought. Going to the hardware store while the blocks are clamped down with the glue drying. I'm not happy with my measure and cutting job on this one so I'm probably going to end up getting rid it after it is done. Unless it works out better than I think it will. I'm going to add rubber boots to the dowel rod ends and also plan to paint the exposed wood on the underside of the deck. I'll probably used some left over rubberized undercoating I have laying around.

Anyways thanks for the fantastic project idea! My gf hates that I turned my apartment into a wood shop but I love that I'm about to have a rear cargo deck.

My 1" clamps fit snug

drinkNfight

Reaction score
Okay here is mine. I am not to happy with it. I rushed putting the carpet on. When I did my marking and measurements instead of 3" for one side of the blocks i marked out and made a 6" cut. For some reason I doubled it so now there is a gap where to dowel rod fit into the cargo area. Ill make a better one at some point in the future for now this is it. Again thanks for ideas. Oh and I was an idiot about the clamps also. I bought the wrong size. Made it work though. I also quickly made a printable drawing & directions img for myself. A lot of good it did me. Anyways like i said, it works and it was fun to put together.
You must be registered for see images

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making mine right now. The 1" was snug so I went with a 7/8". Fits perfect. Will post pics when done.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i may finally be able to do this...looks like we are down sizing in the stroller department.

plus i see someone mentioned putting the stroller on top with bungee cords. I like that too.

gonna grab some plywood in a week or so and start one.... hopefully.....lol

if you all are out and need to remove this....does it fit inside the KJ?

what about putting hinges in the middle in order to fold it over for interior storage when not in use? I not certain about the structural stability of cutting and hinging the 3/4" plywood in the middle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online