Rear Cargo carriers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The local TV station just ran a story on cars catching on fire due to flammable items located on a rear cargo carrier.

Preventing your family road trip from going up in flames | WSET

I just bought one and have only used it once- I normally use the roof rack but I was carrying more camping gear than usual. I have a 12 inch hitch extender that I use because of the spare tire. Since I have the stock exhaust pipe, mine points down but is still at the same level as the cargo carrier. I put everything inside plastic storage bins and use a mesh tie down so I should be alright.

Has anyone ever heard of fires in a Liberty using a rear cargo carrier? I checked the web and could not find anything other than an Amazon warning from a Honda CRV owner.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used my rear cargo carrier many times on several vehicles, with no issues.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Used one from Western part of Ohio to Boston, Mass and back, and Northwest Ohio to key west and back, driving 10-12 hours a day, no issues
Common sense comes into play, but then , well you know that is short supply anymore:happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The local news here has at least one story a week designed to make people think they are about to die by doing something that millions of people do every day.

Relax, have fun, and don't store your spare dynamite on the rear cargo carrier.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
WORST thing is people hauling pets on the carrier , hate to see that!
Now your wife's Mother, thats a different story

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dog rides inside between the kids so I am good to go there. My mother-in-law likes to drive herself so that is good. The dynamite needs to be stored on the roof, got it. Use common sense- that may be a bit harder, but I can try.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought about using one for our trip to Jersey but picked up a Roof Bag for $40 from Amazon that worked just as well and kept everything in vision through the sunroof just to be sure it stayed secure.

You must be registered for see images