rear axle articulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donn224197

Reaction score
when shifting, applying torque, or letting off fast i hear a clunk, fairly dull. i haven't looked at it too much yet as i'm always working but when i had it in gear and moved it back and forth i noticed ALOT of deflection in the bushings. would this be the cause of said noise/sinking feeling when shifting or take off on a incline? it wouldn't bother me too much if it was an auto but i have a 5 speed and it's every gear change.
as well, if it would be bushing where would i go about getting new ones? i'd refer urethane ones seeing as if i were to replace them i might as well upgrade too.
any help would be amazing thanks.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see also. Although it doesn't happen to me all the time, it seems to do it whenever it feels like..... :disgust: Maybe it's just the nature of the 5 speed.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear tri-link and rear LCAs

To further explain my issue, if I haul anything (trailer/dirtbike) or have a full tank of gas, it is noticeably smoother and to the point of nonexistence. Would this point more towards a tri-link? Just thinking out loud here since I currently can't crawl under and check it.

Donn224197

Reaction score
so.... haha. your going to love this.
i just got out of work, got home and crawled under to check my LCA and Trilink. LCAs are fine! Trilink if great! it's not attached to the diff, but it's in great shape! ******* love that shit!
why know the bolt size so i can go get some loctite and grade 8s?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so.... haha. your going to love this.
i just got out of work, got home and crawled under to check my LCA and Trilink. LCAs are fine! Trilink if great! it's not attached to the diff, but it's in great shape! ******* love that shit!
why know the bolt size so i can go get some loctite and grade 8s?

It attaches to the diff with a balljoint. You need a new tri-link.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If its not attached don't drive it anymore since you could really mess things up

dtschro

Reaction score
same issue with my 02 , except bracket is cracked in half at bottom bolt . trying to find replacement . any ideas ?

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know this thread is super old. But I'm having the same nose issue abd on top of that after a little while of driving when taking off in first gear the jeep stutters/bucks violently. It's been getting progressively worse. And really starting to worry me. The noise sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side of the jeep. But I don't know where the trilink is so I can look at it. Can anyone help?

Sent from space by the force of gravity.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I know this thread is super old. But I'm having the same nose issue abd on top of that after a little while of driving when taking off in first gear the jeep stutters/bucks violently. It's been getting progressively worse. And really starting to worry me. The noise sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side of the jeep. But I don't know where the trilink is so I can look at it. Can anyone help?

You're in bad shape if you don't know what it looks like

just kidding, get under the Jeep in front of the rear wheels, now looking up you will see a boomarang looking part that attaches with two bolts ( one per side) in the front and then attaches to what looks like more or less the top of the rear diff. That is the rear tri-link. Now look at the book at the rear upper part where it attaches and then also try to pry up on the part to see if any movement

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He means "boot" ;)
don't want ya to get more lost :)

Or perhaps he meant nook? N is next to B on the keyboard, but K isn't near T.
That would explain a fat finger keyboard oops.
Now it could have a plain ol brain fart, for which there is no cure! ;)

Last edited:

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll crawl under the the jeep in the morning. Could the stuttering in first gear also be caused by the trilink? Or should I look for another issue as well?

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I backed it up onto Ramps and crawled under it to see what I could find. Other than some surface rust it all looks great under there. Everything looks to be attached properly. Any other ideas? This noise had just been getting worse and more frequent. And of course when I take it to the shop it doesn't do it anymore

Last edited: