Really need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my OME lift story.

I went with 927/948 springs. .25" top plate. .357" clevis spacer. I should expect lift to be in the 3.5" range or 22.5" hub to fender measurement.

First install. Let everything settle in. DS hub to fender = 21.5" or 2.5" lift. PS hub to fender 22" or 3" of lift.

Thought the springs were the problem. Had them replaced under warranty. Got new springs. Re-did install. Also replaced LCA bushing for the clevis fork. Everything sat a lot higher at first this time but after a week of driving the fender measurements are THE EXACT SAME AS THE FIRST TIME.

So now Im lost. What other variables are there? Is there any way the struts could be put together wrong? If the other bushings on the LCA were worn out would that affect ride height?

Im tempted to just start adding conduit nuts to at minimum level it out. But im not sure if that's the right thing to do here because it seems like something else is wrong and I should figure out what that is.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated at this point.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/2 " is kind of on the high side but it is normal for DS to sit a little lower. i had the same issue, but the strut fork bushing on the driver side was completely shot and i replaced both sides, that helped in my case...still is about 1/8 inch maybe less difference.

ive read posts from tomm and others saying its very common, im sure he or someone just as knowledgeable will chime in

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/2 " is kind of on the high side but it is normal for DS to sit a little lower. i had the same issue, but the strut fork bushing on the driver side was completely shot and i replaced both sides, that helped in my case...still is about 1/8 inch maybe less difference.

ive read posts from tomm and others saying its very common, im sure he or someone just as knowledgeable will chime in

Im uneven side to side but both sides are also lower than they should be. with the parts I have on both sides should be minimum 3.25 of lift or 22.25 after settling in.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im uneven side to side but both sides are also lower than they should be. with the parts I have on both sides should be minimum 3.25 of lift or 22.25 after settling in.

I've been lifted with 927/948, 3/4" clevis, rear upper iso and air bags for about 4 months now
I sit at exactly 22 1/4" on all four sides, MAYBE 2/16"-3/16" difference on either side, but my drivers isn't lower like everyone says is common
I could not imagine what the cause of your sagging would be, but it is indeed very strange
I would wait for someone else with experience or has experienced this to answer your question

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe his was like mine. I had sagging fender flairs till I replaced the clips. I gained a 1/4 inch of lift.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you re do the preload on the upper control arms? Have you had it aligned? This would redo the preload on the Lower control arms. Releasing the preload from the pre lifted bushing's may alow the springs to come up some.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll wait on the pictures before I comment
was going to PM you again but thought I'd just answer here
I want to see some things first ( both sides front )

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures. I will try to organize them, bear with me.

DS weight on
You must be registered for see images attach

PS weight on

PS Weight off

DS weight off

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Huge puzzle for sure, and the rear is OK, same things on both sides etc?
On mine I had to install a 1/4 inch ( iso) on the drivers side to get it to sit level
whats the rear look like? Similar on both sides
Yes used a 1/4 inch piece of treated plywood :)emotions34:) to level with

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't measured the back lately but I remember them being within 1/4" of each other

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measured the rear. both sides sit at 22" even.

the preload on the control arms was reset when I installed the lift. so their setting right now is already for a lifted jeep not a stock one. I can try re-setting again but i dont think they would be that far off to pull it down half an inch.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "resetting the Pre-load" do you mean you loosened all 4 uca, lca, and sway bar bolts. Then you bounced on it, rocked it back and forth, and let it sit for a couple minutes before retorqing, all while the jeep is on flat level ground? If not than you might want to try it again.

I'd loosen and re-torque everything like that before anything, if no change then I'd swap rear springs, then swap sides with the struts(also checking the torque of the upper strut nut to make sure it's the same on both sides. If neither of that changes anything, then I'd throw an extra conduit nut on the low side and call it a day.

BTW, it's called the Jeep lean. Mine did that when the bushings on the rear Y-Link were shot, it caused the axle to shift side to side which loaded the suspension differently between each side.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "resetting the Pre-load" do you mean you loosened all 4 uca, lca, and sway bar bolts. Then you bounced on it, rocked it back and forth, and let it sit for a couple minutes before retorqing, all while the jeep is on flat level ground? If not than you might want to try it again.

I'd loosen and re-torque everything like that before anything, if no change then I'd swap rear springs, then swap sides with the struts(also checking the torque of the upper strut nut to make sure it's the same on both sides. If neither of that changes anything, then I'd throw an extra conduit nut on the low side and call it a day.

BTW, it's called the Jeep lean. Mine did that when the bushings on the rear Y-Link were shot, it caused the axle to shift side to side which loaded the suspension differently between each side.

Yes that is what I meant when I said I reset pre-load. I didnt do it for the new springs but I will try it when I get a chance.

So the Y-link being shot can make the front sit uneven? This is very interesting. There was a .25" difference in height with stock springs. I didnt think anything of it when I initially measured because that seemed minimal. But maybe lifting it has exaggerated the lean. My y-link is in rough shape I havent inspected the bushings carfully but I bet they are in rough shape.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that is what I meant when I said I reset pre-load. I didnt do it for the new springs but I will try it when I get a chance.

So the Y-link being shot can make the front sit uneven? This is very interesting. There was a .25" difference in height with stock springs. I didnt think anything of it when I initially measured because that seemed minimal. But maybe lifting it has exaggerated the lean. My y-link is in rough shape I havent inspected the bushings carfully but I bet they are in rough shape.
Yes and no. For example if the left rear sits higher, the right front will sit lower. A worn Y-link allows the axle to move) shift side to side laterally, which arch the coils (causing more weight on one side and/or weird suspension loading). Combine that with old worn out springs/shocks and slightly worn LCA bushings, and your axle could be a good bit "un-square" with the rig and cause all kinda weirdness. .

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have height problems after raising.

If I understand correctly, after installing the front shock / springs, I screw all the screws slightly, then I rest the JEEP on the ground, I shake and I screw all the screws still on the ground.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anything with rubber shouldn't be torqued till the Jeep is on the ground. Anything else can be fully torqued before.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I understood correctly, all bushing and ball joint must be torqued with vehicle on the ground.

Can this really have an impact on the final height of the suspensions?