Rancho RSX 17505 VS OME NS130 struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just can make up my mined!!!

i cant decided what to get for my mild but mighty lift kit.

i could get the legendary Old Man Emu struts for around $145 or i could get the tried and true Rancho strut with its life time warranty for almost half the cost for just $85 each.

i will be planning to use ether of these two with OME light coils (which i have) and a upper strut plate.

what to do:confused:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference is the price and warrenty.I have Rancho's up front and they are very,very good.For the rear I had the OME shocks but switched to the Rancho 17004's and the ride was 10000% better since my KJ is alot heavier then most(5500lbs) and those Rancho's are made for a heavier Durango which gave me better ride control then the OME's could.

I would highly recommend that the light OME coils not be used,they are the same spring rate as the stock coils,will sag faster,not much lift(maybe 1" if lucky),and the ride will not be any better then stock.The ride with OME HD coils is so much better then stock,you'd be very pleased with the HD's versus the lights.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference is the price and warrenty.I have Rancho's up front and they are very,very good.For the rear I had the OME shocks but switched to the Rancho 17004's and the ride was 10000% better since my KJ is alot heavier then most(5500lbs) and those Rancho's are made for a heavier Durango which gave me better ride control then the OME's could.

I would highly recommend that the light OME coils not be used,they are the same spring rate as the stock coils,will sag faster,not much lift(maybe 1" if lucky),and the ride will not be any better then stock.The ride with OME HD coils is so much better then stock,you'd be very pleased with the HD's versus the lights.

X a bajillion

I've got Rancho up front and they are nice.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after talking to all j products they say that i can do the OME springs with there Rancho RSX 17505 just like you guys did but i would also need to use some extended bump stops for the front and then i would be all set. but my question is, why do i need to use them its not like I'm doing a big lift and will be putting mudders into my fender wells!

Or is it because those struts are meant for stock ride height and i can over compress them? and if so can i just get the bump stops and use my old struts tell i can get the OME strus?
Or is it because of the upper A-arms?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bump stops are needed because of the larger size tires used in conjunction with a lift. I have yet to get them but it shows on my inner fenders. If you are doing the one piece at a time like me you can wait on the bump stops but don't take it too off road or you could rip the inner fender or possibly fender flares right out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
old rule of thumb here
any time you lift a vehicle you should add that amount of bumpstop, lift of two inches add two inches bumpstop etc.
Do not try and reuse the stock shocks ( so called strut) UPGRADE is the name of the game if you replace up graged to better than what you have not the same why do it if you stay the same?
By the way ranchos are great, 80,000 onmy set up and still feels good going down the road, BUT if I had to do it over again.........I would do it the same only sooner! LOL
Tom