rancho RS5000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how much longer than stock shocks these are? i need longer rear shocks and the 17004 are discontinued and dont feel ike paying that much for OME's. Thanks, Chase

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chase, I bought the RS5248 for the rear of my KJ. They are a hydraulic shock, no gas charge. They suck. Hold out for some of the RS9000 series if you can swing it, they aren't cheap. Or, get some Skyjacker N8088s. I ran those for about 50K miles before one of them blew out. If the parts place I frequent had them in stock again, I'd of bought them, but they only had some of the Ranchos. I couldn't wait for three weeks to get the Skyjackers.

Last edited:

jeepfrog

Reaction score
I just ordered the 17004s from xloffroad.com
They can still get them from Rancho and their pricing is pretty good too.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the 17004s from xloffroad.com
They can still get them from Rancho and their pricing is pretty good too.

I just looked on that website, I'm only seeing the RS5000 series.. any way you could post the direct link of where you ordered the 17004's?

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the RS5147's off of Amazon for $84.70 shipped. They're stock Durango length, and seem to be holding up good so far. So that's another option.
Dalton

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the RS5147's off of Amazon for $84.70 shipped. They're stock Durango length, and seem to be holding up good so far. So that's another option.
Dalton

Are you lifted? If so what set up? I'm running close to like 3.5" right now.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's all the panic for?

Yes, the 17004s are no longer made, and getting harder to find. But remember any shock designed to fit a stock Durango (or Dakota - if I remember right) will work for a 2"-3" lifted Libby

I understand the valving will be different depending on the MFGs, and the Rancho's may have been the best "valved" choice, but this is one of those "owner's preferance" items.

It comes down to what type or ride you like and how much you are willing to spend to get there. I'm sure the OME rear shocks work great - I just wasn't willing to spend that much to find out, so I went with the Rancho's (got mine just before they were discontinued).

I'ts not like you are looking for parts for a Yugo or Deaweau! There are plenty of these vehicles (Durango's) on the road, and plenty of MFGs making shocks for them. You can get shocks from the cheapest "stock" replacements all the way up to the high dollar "performance" ones. And being they are "stock" length, the market won't dry up quickly.

My point is, there are still options. It will take some time and experimenting to find out what works "best". That's why we are all here to share what we find worked - and what didn't.

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you lifted? If so what set up? I'm running close to like 3.5" right now.

I will be in about a month, OME, top plate, and clevis. Thats why i bought the Durango length- that is the length the everyone says you need. Just saying that I've had the ranchos on for about 2 months so far, and they ride great and have held up to some light offroading.

Dalton

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dalton

Now that i see the price of the RSX's, you should probably just spend the extra 20 bucks and buy those instead. The cheapest i could find when i was looking was close to $100 apiece.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chase, I wasn't totally bashing the RS5000 series in my post. But, they are a hydraulic shock. If you're looking for a gas-charged shock the RSX or RS9000 would be the way to go. Even Monroe makes a couple of heavy duty gas charged shocks for the Dakota/Durango that might work well.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how much longer than stock shocks these are? i need longer rear shocks and the 17004 are discontinued and dont feel ike paying that much for OME's. Thanks, Chase

Check the wee link I posted earlier. It has the compressed/extended length of all of the shocks in there. See which ones fit a stock libby and compare the lengths to the Dakota/Durango shock. Rancho has all that stuff in .pdf format right on their website.