RageOfFury has gone Synthetic!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you synthetic guys have convinced me lol. I went out and bought 5x1L of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Made in Germany full synthetic oil. If you don't already know, this made in germany Castrol Syntec is a PAO based real synthetic motor oil. I also bought a Fram Extended Guard filter which, according to what I've read online, isn't in the same class as the other cheaper/less quality filters that Fram makes. It's right up there with Purolator.

Some pics for fun:

You must be registered for see images

Sorry for the pic quality. Took them with my Palm Pre.

So yeah I picked up one of those oil pans. Worked wonders. I'm going to bring it to wherever they take used oils. I'll empty it there and be able to reuse the pan in the future.

I can't believe how easy it was to change the oil/filter. Took me about 30min as I took my time to make sure I didn't rush through things. Poored in exactly 4.7L/5Qt. Ran the engine. No leaks. Took her for a ride. No leaks. Dip stick reading is in the safe zone.

Quite proud of myself:D

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Well you synthetic guys have convinced me lol. I went out and bought 5x1L of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Made in Germany full synthetic oil. If you don't already know, this made in germany Castrol Syntec is a PAO based real synthetic motor oil.....

As opposed to the SAME synthetic Castrol in the united states? 0W-30 is also the wrong weight, it should be 5W-30, unless it it always COLD there, like negative forty degrees...

If it was good Syn you wanted, then Royal Purple is tops.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As opposed to the SAME synthetic Castrol in the united states? 0W-30 is also the wrong weight, it should be 5W-30, unless it it always COLD there, like negative forty degrees...

If it was good Syn you wanted, then Royal Purple is tops.
The made in USA Castrol "full synthetic" oil is a Group III enhanced dino oil. In other words, It's not a true full synthetic even though the bottle says it is. Same goes for Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State full synthetic to name a few.

Group IV/PAO based oils are real synthetic which this 0W-30 Castrol is. Same as Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple.

0W-30 is perfectly fine in an engine that requires 5W-30.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cool....once you get the hang of changing the oil, you can get it done in 15 min...I do now! :D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool....once you get the hang of changing the oil, you can get it done in 15 min...I do now! :D
It wasn't hard at all I gotta say. The Mopar filter came off quite easy since I don't have the electric fan. I was able to remove it from the top. The drain plug came off quite easily too and all the oil went into the oil pan I bought.

I'm good for 5000 miles me thinks...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First time it took me about 20 mins to get filter off from the bottom, but then I have both fans...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
0w30 is fine for year round use. Would it be what ThunderbirdJunkie would prefer? No, but it won't hurt anything.

The advantage of 0wxx oils is that it flows VERY easily when not at operating temperature and gets to dry parts of the engine VERY rapidly. When at operating temperature, it offers NO LESS PROTECTION than 5w or 10w or even 50w30.

Powerslave needs to do some reading on multiviscosity oils. Understandable, though, since he is old-school and they have only been around for a few decades:)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time it took me about 20 mins to get filter off from the bottom, but then I have both fans...
I looked from underneath and there isn't much room at all to reach up there and take it off. I don't even have any skid plates. Perhaps i have big arms lol. But through the top was easy. The filter was on snug so I was able to remove it by hand with a little force. Cleaned the mounting part, oiled up the new filter and screwed it on making sure it was nice and snug.

I enjoyed myself, it was fun:D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The dealer put mine old way too tight the first time....

But I did my second DIY oil change on it last weekend, no issues whatsoever! :D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0w30 is fine for year round use. Would it be what ThunderbirdJunkie would prefer? No, but it won't hurt anything.

The advantage of 0wxx oils is that it flows VERY easily when not at operating temperature and gets to dry parts of the engine VERY rapidly. When at operating temperature, it offers NO LESS PROTECTION than 5w or 10w or even 50w30.

Powerslave needs to do some reading on multiviscosity oils. Understandable, though, since he is old-school and they have only been around for a few decades:)
+1

That's what my research has shown as well.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how easy it was to change the oil/filter. Took me about 30min as I took my time to make sure I didn't rush through things. Poored in exactly 4.7L/5Qt. Ran the engine. No leaks. Took her for a ride. No leaks. Dip stick reading is in the safe zone.

You always remember your first !!!!!!

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still can't believe how easy it was. It was like changing oil in a lawnmower lol

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hear my warning don't use the Fram!!!!!!!! Buy something else!!!

Get a Purolator or Mobil 1 Filter

Or return yours and get a Fram Tough Guard. Thats the only trustworthy Fram Filter.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hear my warning don't use the Fram!!!!!!!! Buy something else!!!

Get a Purolator or Mobil 1 Filter

Or return yours and get a Fram Tough Guard. Thats the only trustworthy Fram Filter.
Fram's Extended Guard filter is the only quality filter Fram makes. From the research I've done online, It's right up there with Purolator.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take a chance. Buy a REAL filter for peace of mind. It don't cost any more.
I did buy a real filter. I did my research before hand and the XG3600 from Fram is a high quality filter. Hard to believe because it's Fram, but the tests prove it. Google is your friend!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only oil filters I would use is Purolater and a Wix(napa). Not much on using a brand of filter thats known to suck even if they have some good and some bad. Thats kinda like loading up a round with 1 bullet then aiming at your head and hoping for the best...

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

Congrats!

vertel.gif I still have not done my own yet .. :D baby steps ... ;)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only oil filters I would use is Purolater and a Wix(napa). Not much on using a brand of filter thats known to suck even if they have some good and some bad. Thats kinda like loading up a round with 1 bullet then aiming at your head and hoping for the best...
Fram's Extended Guard filters are in a class of their own. They are not cheap and crappy like Fram's other orange filters.

Fram has a bad reputation yes, but they have made things right with the Extended Guard filter. Someone on another forum opened one up and compared it to a Purolator filter. Identical!

Google this filter, you'll be happily surprised.

I don't buy crap. I did my research beforehand.