RageOfFury has gone Synthetic!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking perhaps you guys wanted to see the back of the German Castrol bottle. I tried my best to get a clear picture:

You must be registered for see images

It's Porsche approved! :p

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. Where did you find this? I haven't been to a parts store yet to see what we have here. I remember the price for that brand was the same as Mobil 1. You may have found a replacement for thr M1 for me.;)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canadian Tire. Go to Pepboys or Autozone and grab a 0W-30 bottle of Castrol Syntec. Check to see if it says "Made in Germany" on the back. If so it's a PAO/Group IV TRUE synthetic as opposed to M1 and Pennzoil Platinum which are Group III.

More info from the horse's mouth :

Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification*. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LLA-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canadian Tire. Go to Pepboys or Autozone and grab a 0W-30 bottle of Castrol Syntec. Check to see if it says "Made in Germany" on the back. If so it's a PAO/Group IV TRUE synthetic as opposed to M1 and Pennzoil Platinum which are Group III.

We have Autozoo nearby and Pepboys about 15 miles away. I'll check ASAP. Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking perhaps you guys wanted to see the back of the German Castrol bottle. I tried my best to get a clear picture:

Hate to bust your bubble but your using the exact same castrol as is available in the USA.

Your pic below,notice what is circled............
You must be registered for see images attach

Now below is a pic found by googling castrol,it's the USA version and take notice what is circled..............

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to bust your bubble but your using the exact same castrol as is available in the USA.

Your pic below,notice what is circled............

Now below is a pic found by googling castrol,it's the USA version and take notice what is circled..............
You didn't bust any bubbles. You just didn't read properly :p

ONLY the 0W-30 grade Castrol Syntec is Made in Germany. It's a PAO/Group IV TRUE synthetic oil. It's sold in Canada and the US. The other grades of Castrol Syntec (5W-30, 5W-40, etc) are Made in USA and are Group III oil with synthetic additives. M1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability to name a few are Group III.

Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consider the group III oils to be a higher grade of dino oil. The process to manufacture simply removes sulpher. Synthetic is a misnomer. Naturally I would prefer group IV but can't justify the higher price.

For a guy that never changed his own oil you are pretty thorough in your research!

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consider the group III oils to be a higher grade of dino oil. The process to manufacture simply removes sulpher. Synthetic is a misnomer. Naturally I would prefer group IV but can't justify the higher price.

For a guy that never changed his own oil you are pretty thorough in your research!
Yup I do my homework before I buy ANYTHING. Google is my friend(bowdown)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rage, we don't have any Autozone or PepBoys around here but I am going to check the labels in my travels now out of curiosity.

Dave

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's actually a tractor engine.

Tractor engine? U serious? Tell me more.

And forget about the Fram filter thing. I showed you guys my beef with Fram. That's all I'm going to say about that.

BTW, We sold the Camaro today. Newest project:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Tractor engine? U serious? Tell me more.

And forget about the Fram filter thing. I showed you guys my beef with Fram. That's all I'm going to say about that.

BTW, We sold the Camaro today. Newest project:

Without getting into a long drawn out detailed history about the A series engine... Yup, It is actually a tractor engine from the early 1950's!
Mini Mania in California sourced out a blower for the A series from a company in Sweden where the engine is still used in some old tractors!
The blower is a definite plus as far as adding torque/HP but it is quite expensive to buy. not to mention that you need to lower the compression ratio of the engine so you dont blow it to kingdom come!
I am seriously thinking of buying one though as I like the fact that I can slaughter 5.0 litre Rustangs off the line and of course out corner them at ridiculous speeds!:D
I'm done with A series engines for now... I've been Effin with them since the 1980's and now the KJ bug has bitten me!
Although, I have a 1979 Mini that I will be shoe horning a small block Chevy into some time next year.
Rear wheel drive, Jag rear end, Muncy gearbox, etc.!
Something to really hurt the brain with!

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without getting into a long drawn out detailed history about the A series engine... Yup, It is actually a tractor engine from the early 1950's!
Mini Mania in California sourced out a blower for the A series from a company in Sweden where the engine is still used in some old tractors!
The blower is a definite plus as far as adding torque/HP but it is quite expensive to buy. not to mention that you need to lower the compression ratio of the engine so you dont blow it to kingdom come!
I am seriously thinking of buying one though as I like the fact that I can slaughter 5.0 litre Rustangs off the line and of course out corner them at ridiculous speeds!:D
I'm done with A series engines for now... I've been Effin with them since the 1980's and now the KJ bug has bitten me!
Although, I have a 1979 Mini that I will be shoe horning a small block Chevy into some time next year.
Rear wheel drive, Jag rear end, Muncy gearbox, etc.!
Something to really hurt the brain with!

Interesting! Most tractor engines run at such low rpm I'm surprised at the use in such high rpm.

I was looking at the pics of your KJ. I'd say the bug bit pretty hard. Any engine mods planned? That seems to be an area no one enters.

On the Chevy, Muncy, Jag thing, I like the way you think.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Interesting! Most tractor engines run at such low rpm I'm surprised at the use in such high rpm.

I was looking at the pics of your KJ. I'd say the bug bit pretty hard. Any engine mods planned? That seems to be an area no one enters.

On the Chevy, Muncy, Jag thing, I like the way you think.

Our KJ has 185000.0 KM on the clock and still going very strong.
Once it packs it in I'm am seriously considering a 4.7 litre V8 for it.
If the local Government drops the Air Care (Pollution sniff test) I might just get rid of all the electronis BS under the hood and go "Old school" small block power.
Replace the ******, transfer case and put real axles into it at the same time.

At least he's not using Lucas electricals :p

I re-wired the whole car using all Lucas wiring!:D
Never had a problem TBJ!
Mind you, I cheated a little and used Bosch wiring when ever possible!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Looks like some of it is written in French....not German....:confused: