RageOfFury has gone Synthetic!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a lil oil spot under the front of my KJ this morning. I double and tripled checked yesterday after driving around that there was no leaks from the drain plug nor around the filter. So, I'm thinking it's from the mess I made when I removed the mopar oil filter. When I removed the old filter, the oil didn't go straight down onto the newspapers I had layed out but instead went towards the passenger side sliding down some sort of lil chute. I guess it's leftover oil dripping from that chute.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Might want to check the level on the dipstick...

And when I remove my filter, I wrap a gallon Zip Lock around the filter before I unscrew and remove it....catches everything! :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed a lil oil spot under the front of my KJ this morning. I double and tripled checked yesterday after driving around that there was no leaks from the drain plug nor around the filter. So, I'm thinking it's from the mess I made when I removed the mopar oil filter. When I removed the old filter, the oil didn't go straight down onto the newspapers I had layed out but instead went towards the passenger side sliding down some sort of lil chute. I guess it's leftover oil dripping from that chute.

Rage, there's a little depression in the plastic oil shute (or whatever you want to call it) that will catch a little oil and then it will run down the chute and drip out through the access hole in the skid plate. I wipe mine out real good when I am done. Then you won't have any drips. If you put your hand up in there you can feel it.

Dave

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rage, there's a little depression in the plastic oil shute (or whatever you want to call it) that will catch a little oil and then it will run down the chute and drip out through the access hole in the skid plate. I wipe mine out real good when I am done. Then you won't have any drips. If you put your hand up in there you can feel it.

Dave
Ahah! That's probably it then. I'll stick my hand up there tonight and see if I can feel some leftover oil. If so, I'll use a rag to clean it up so my KJ stops having her period lol:p

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you synthetic guys have convinced me lol. I went out and bought 5x1L of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Made in Germany full synthetic oil. If you don't already know, this made in germany Castrol Syntec is a PAO based real synthetic motor oil. I also bought a Fram Extended Guard filter which, according to what I've read online, isn't in the same class as the other cheaper/less quality filters that Fram makes. It's right up there with Purolator.

Some pics for fun:

You must be registered for see images

Sorry for the pic quality. Took them with my Palm Pre.

So yeah I picked up one of those oil pans. Worked wonders. I'm going to bring it to wherever they take used oils. I'll empty it there and be able to reuse the pan in the future.

I can't believe how easy it was to change the oil/filter. Took me about 30min as I took my time to make sure I didn't rush through things. Poored in exactly 4.7L/5Qt. Ran the engine. No leaks. Took her for a ride. No leaks. Dip stick reading is in the safe zone.

Quite proud of myself:D

Good for you Rage. As far as what oil and what filter you use, I say choose one combo and stick with it. As long as you do the changes at regular intervals then you'll be fine. Aside from a catastrophic failure of some sort, I think it’s irrelevant on the brand. The manufacture could care less (hence the rebranding) and at the end of the day, it’s a consumable item. It’s made to only last so long no matter what. So do you now have the home repair itch?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you Rage. As far as what oil and what filter you use, I say choose one combo and stick with it. As long as you do the changes at regular intervals then you'll be fine. Aside from a catastrophic failure of some sort, I think it’s irrelevant on the brand. The manufacture could care less (hence the rebranding) and at the end of the day, it’s a consumable item. It’s made to only last so long no matter what. So do you now have the home repair itch?
Well I will be sticking with German Castrol since it's a TRUE synthetic. I'll be able to get 5000 miles easily out of that oil, could probably go double that since it's a group IV oil, but I won't. The way I drive, that will probably end up being 2 oil changes a year which is great. As for the filter, will see...

The home repair itch. I've had that for years all thanks to This Old House, Hometime, Bob Vila, Mike Holmes,...:p

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I will be sticking with German Castrol since it's a TRUE synthetic. I'll be able to get 5000 miles easily out of that oil, could probably go double that since it's a group IV oil, but I won't. The way I drive, that will probably end up being 2 oil changes a year which is great. As for the filter, will see...

The home repair itch. I've had that for years all thanks to This Old House, Hometime, Bob Vila, Mike Holmes,...:p

LOL, I was refering to the Jeep, as in repair it at home, but once you get the itch for one it turns into the other...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seriously? A auto enthusiast site and we can't discuss Fram??????:confused:

We can talk about Fram all you want, as long we don't bash the people that use them.

If we can discuss them without bashing, and nicely, go ahead...:)

(Sorry if I wasn't clear...)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has a problem with discussion. School yard hair pulling, on the other hand ... yawn

Showing epeters is part of proving a point. What is boring to some is interesting to others. No one is forced to read anything they find boring.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can talk about Fram all you want, as long we don't bash the people that use them.

If we can discuss them without bashing, and nicely, go ahead...:)

(Sorry if I wasn't clear...)

I don't think anyone was into bashing each other. Bashing a product is normal. We had to show our epeters in order to show our pedigrees.

Sorry if I bore people. The proof of a position on a product is in the details. Thats where I like to go.

Sorry if I step on some toes. When people have a love for a product they will get a little hot under the collar when challenged, especially when backed up with facts. If this appears to be school yard shenanigans so be it.

Bottom line is mods can point out what I do wrong. Mods rule. All others can read or choose to not read. Refferring to my entries as school yard antics is flaming and not appreciated.

Thank you.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF HAPPENED????????? :confused: :confused: One entry I'm getting my a$$ jumped on and insulted for discussing oil filters, which BTW was on topic and then 3 PAGES of petty drivel about a frickin WALLET participated in by MODS !!!!!!!!!!! R U guys for real ????

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now:

There is no need for anyone to bash on another member, and that includes Redbone. He is entitled to an opinion yust like all of you.

So...please keep this civil. Thank you.

Point out bashing a member so I will know where the lines are drawn.

BTW, I note that you aren't listed as a mod. Don't you think such warnings should be left to them?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez WTF has happened to this thread. All the posts that have nothing to do with the topic should be deleted.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes..we do not take things that serious. Hope you don't mind. If you do....no one is forcing you to be here.

Rather then locking threads and banning users we like to change things around with a bit of humour and maybe some off-topic chitchat. No harm intended.

As for the rest, obviously whoever "we" is do not take things seriously. When the topic was serious I was chastised. Called school yard crap and then the talk goes to REAL school yard drivel referred to as "humour". Mods in the mix no less. Now a "SUPER BAD TOP LEVEL DUDE" tells me I can leave and not too suttley threatens me banning or thread locking.

So, as soon as I find out what constitutes bashing I will know what to avoid to keep the thread from going to off topic drivel. Yep, thank you Tony.

EDIT: MY BAD ON THE TITLE. YOUR PETER IS BIGGER.

Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahem....ADMIN.... I run this show ..kinda...:D

Redbone, the remark about the bashing is in your favor, I do not like it when posts turn into a ******* match between members.

You state what you know or think and that's your opinion. You are 100% entitled to have one. You also show great knowledge of this subject so what you post should have to be answered (if needbe..) with respect towards you. Some didn't...(That's what I mean with bashing on Redbone.)

Then you come back to 'defend' yourself and this is how threads go south.

I'll tell you what I have said to others: post what you think is right, then let it ride. If someone disagrees, let him. If someone wants to use FRAM filters let him.

You clearly stated what's wrong with them. If someone doesn't want to take your advice...their loss...ok?

Fair enough. I know the out of bounds lines. VERY SORRY ABOUT MISSING YOUR TITLE.