radiator fan replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty limited Ed. 3.7L V6 with both electric and mechanical cooling fans.

I was on my honeymoon when the radiator needed to be replaced. The guys at the shop found that the electric fan was missing a pin from a while ago and the e-motor shaft made the fan's mating hole larger so the shaft just spins and the fan doesn't. It wasn't replaced as the town (Payson) didn't have a replacement part.

My questions are:
1. Do I go OEM on this part or an aftermarket would do? (Correct me if I'm wrong, this is usually for KJ's with tow package right? There's a receiver at the back. Sorry it's my wife's car so I don't know much about it.)
2. I can't find a solid answer, but I think I should be able to replace just the fan on the shroud. Am I correct?
3. If aftermarket, any recommendation?
4. Is it possible to remove the shroud where the e-fan is attached too easily without removing any hoses?

Thanks.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. you can get it OEM or aftermarket here is a napa link NAPA AUTO PARTS
2. you must by the entire fan assembly as far as I know
3. I would go napa and if you do go napa ask about the napa loyalty card because you get a big price break
4. you can remove the shroud with out taking apart hoses. You also need to take the clutch fan off the water pump using the special spanner wrench. but you will need to just let the clutch fan stay resting on the shroud and you will need to take the clutch fan out when you pull the shroud out and also when you put the shroud back in. then take out the two bolts one on each side of the fan shroud and then pull the fan shroud out from under the metal support and back on to the top of the a/c compressor then you should be able to take it out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Easiest way to get the mech fan loose is to take a bolt or two, put it through the holes on the waterpump so they'll catch on a fin on the water pump. That's what I did. Worked well. I think it's a 36mm nut.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to get the mech fan loose is to take a bolt or two, put it through the holes on the waterpump so they'll catch on a fin on the water pump. That's what I did. Worked well. I think it's a 36mm nut.

4. you can remove the shroud with out taking apart hoses. You also need to take the clutch fan off the water pump using the special spanner wrench. but you will need to just let the clutch fan stay resting on the shroud and you will need to take the clutch fan out when you pull the shroud out and also when you put the shroud back in. then take out the two bolts one on each side of the fan shroud and then pull the fan shroud out from under the metal support and back on to the top of the a/c compressor then you should be able to take it out.

X2

What these guys say is spot on - do what they say and the replacement will go well.

Bob

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to clarify the procedure to remove the clutch fan. Do you mean this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Photo from TwoBobsKJ.

Also I think the fan assembly in the shroud can just simply be removed.
It doesn't look like NAPA has it the fan assembly only. They carry the fan + shroud.

I think the fan part looks like these and I think these might work.
Replacement J160602 Cooling Fan | Auto Parts Warehouse

or this.
4th part from the top
03 2003 Jeep Liberty Radiator Fan Assembly - Cooling System - APDI, Action Crash, Dorman, Four Seasons, GPD, Hayden, PartsMaster, Replacement, TYC - PartsGeek

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also one thing I forgot to mention is to put some never seize on the treads where the clutch fan screws on it will help to keep rust away and also will help you to remove it in the future. I believe that you have the picture marked rite, but I do not use that method maybe somebody else can help with that?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to clarify the procedure to remove the clutch fan. Do you mean this?

Photo from TwoBobsKJ.

Also I think the fan assembly in the shroud can just simply be removed.
It doesn't look like NAPA has it the fan assembly only. They carry the fan + shroud.

I think the fan part looks like these and I think these might work.
Replacement J160602 Cooling Fan | Auto Parts Warehouse

or this.
4th part from the top
03 2003 Jeep Liberty Radiator Fan Assembly - Cooling System - APDI, Action Crash, Dorman, Four Seasons, GPD, Hayden, PartsMaster, Replacement, TYC - PartsGeek

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Yes, the pic shows the mechanical fan clutch. As recommended above put some anti-seize on it to make it easier to remove in the future. As for the electrical fan... The one from Parts Geek is the correct one. When you get it double check the number of prongs in the electrical connection. It MUST have the same number as the original or it won't operate correctly - if at all.

Let us know how it goes :waytogo:

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!
Please let me know of anything else you guys can think off I should do or check while I remove the fans.
I think the mileage is hitting 140k.

Also I made a type in the text in the picture, I think HoosierJeep was trying to say that to use a 36mm wrench to unscrew the nut of the clutch fan.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!
Please let me know of anything else you guys can think off I should do or check while I remove the fans.
I think the mileage is hitting 140k.

Also I made a type in the text in the picture, I think HoosierJeep was trying to say that to use a 36mm wrench to unscrew the nut of the clutch fan.

That will work or a big a** crescent wrench. I used a old school adjustable pipe wrench.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my replacement radiator fan assembly yesterday.
I was just getting everything my tools prepared and thought to give the fan a test before removing the clutch fan.
I had the radiator fan out on the side and connected it to power harness. It looks like just a high and a ground line to the fan.
I let the jeep idle for about 15-20 minutes but it the fan never came on.

The radiator fan also does not engage when the AC is turned on.

From the FSM:
"The relay is also energized when, air conditioning is selected and coolant temperature is
above 95° C ( 203° F), or , air conditioning is selected and battery temperature sensor is above 41° C (106°F)."

Thoughts? comments?

I'm thinking of driving around then hooking the fan up again.

However, it could be the ECT is bad. My wife was driving the jeep around with hardly any coolant in the coolant tank before we got married. The radiator had a leak and we had to replace it during our honeymoon. I have no idea how long she's been driving with low coolant. The temperature indicator has been in the middle before and after the radiator change.

Anyone tried debugging the ECT to make sure it's working?

Thanks

-------------
Update: After running a bunch of errands today, came back and plugged it in and it came on.
Happy it did. Jump the gun this morning.
My crescent wrench is not big enough and can't seem to get a strew into the hole in the pulley.

Any other ideas to hold the pulley to remove the clutch fan?
Thanks.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I finally got around to this.
I ended up using a metal hanger and a vice grip to hold the pulley in place.

However, I think I have an issue with the clutch fan. The top pic is from my jeep and the 2nd one is presumably from Bob's jeep since it was his pic. Click on the first pic for the full res. view.

You must be registered for see images

Before I took the clutch fan off, the nut was screwed in all the way, where no threads were exposed, right to the pulley.
I had to use the clutch fan wrench and a breaker bar to unscrew it all the way.

The picture you see has some anti-seize on the thread but notice that the threads are not as prominent as the 2nd picture.
The grooves are still there but the sharp parts of the threads no longer exist.

Putting the clutch fan on was as painful as taking it off.

I did however, decide not to screw it all the way as shown in the first picture.
At that point, it was already at the torque specifications of ~252in-lb.

I fear that this would need to be replaced.
The threads on the clutch fan nut seemed to fine though.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to just replace the water pump and get a new mechanical fan clutch because with 140,000 on it the water pump will fail soon if you have not replaced it yet in the jeeps life.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm... that's a good point. I found a small leak where the thermostat housing on the lower radiator hose so I could do both at the same time since I have to drain the radiator.

1. How far down does the clutch fan nut typically tighten until? Does it screw on like a typical nut till the end where you have to torque it in?

2. Is it secure enough how I've tighten the clutch fan?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the nut should be all the way on. The pic of mine is showing the process of installing the fan clutch and therefore doesn't show it all the way on. Too difficult to get a clean pic of the nut with the shroud in place.

Looks to me like a shop or individual used an air hammer to get the nut off before and basically beat on the nut till it loosened - hence the idea to put some anti-seize on the threads of the water pump. I'd agree that it may be time to replace the pump and the fan clutch - anything that's been beaten on that hard is not long for this world... :emotions34:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online