radiator fan replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was pretty tough to get it out. I had to use a breaker bar with the wrench all the way out.

I take it that if the water pump threaded shaft is in good shape, I should be able to loosen it by hand after the initial "breaking the nut loose"?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and having the clutch fan nut beaten up like it is does not make very easy to take it off. For the 100 dollars it costs to get a new fan clutch and a water pump I would just replace them. Once you have both the fans off it does not take long to put on a new water pump maybe about 15 minutes and most of that is draining and refilling the cooling system.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool beans.
I have to replace the thermostat too so it'll be a good time to do both.
Now, the problem is to find time to do it.... bah.

I take it that OEM water pump is recommended too?

Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone used a air hammer on that then used it again to crimp the nut so it would not back off,but at the same time make it useless(to re-install) and very hard to remove.

No need to antiseize or anything to help keep it on(Loctite and such) as the fan clutch nut will self tighten when the engine is running,and yes it must be fully seated with no gap between the nut and WP pulley.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that when you change out the water pump that you should clean with a tooth brush and water the engine side of the water pump where the seal goes before you install the new water pump and gasket.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I also want to remove the fan clutch. I don't understand where the 36mm nut can be placed to secure the pump.... please help!

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right..... I need a 36mm wrench to unscrew the nut of the clutch fan. I was thinking that I had to place a nut in the back of water pump to avoid the spinning.

I can't find a fan removal tool at amazon or ebay..... any suggestion?