Questions | 08 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheCanadian

Reaction score
I just have a few questions on what I should do with my Jeep Liberty.

A few things about it:

- 260,000KM/161556Miles
- Full Synthetic oil every 10,000KM/6213Miles
- Changed spark plugs at 246,575KM/153214Miles with Bosch Iridium plugs
- Had transmission fluid, pan and filter replaced at 222,960KM/138540Miles

I was wondering if anyone has done anything to improve MPG/LKM.

Also wondering what I should do maintenance wise since it's up there in mileage.

Any advice is good advice, If anyone has done anything to make the ride better or get better performance out of the 3.7 gas guzzler that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the Bosch Iridium plugs have a bad reputation on the V6 KJ....NGK copper plugs gapped correctly are supposedly the best!

I assume the same holds for the V6 KK?

LibertyTC and Tomudd have posts on this matter.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum TheCanadaian. I moved this now into the KK Section for your 2008 Liberty post.
This post- #10 has the correct gap & spark plug requirements. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/starting-running-very-rough.64944/
Always refer to your owners manual for correct plugs & fluid & gear oil specifications etc.
Here is the online owners manual which is handy as well: http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2008/2008_JEEP_LIBERTY.pdf
Have you serviced the rear differential gear oil lately? Or transfer case/front diff at all?

TheCanadian

Reaction score
I serviced the rear diff maybe 10,000km ago when my rear pinion bearing desided to destroy itself.

Looked over the whole rear end. All bearings and gears and replaced whatever was in need of replacing.

I haven't don't the front or transfer case yet. I normally only use 4x4 during the winter. I didn't get a chance to do it last year so I'll be doing it this year before winter.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Jeep is happy with the Copper core plugs, I'd swap them out for the OEM.
The rear diff gets pretty hot and I service it every 50,000km now, and check rear diff fluid levels 2x per year.
Happy to hear you will be soon servicing the Front diff & transfer case. Maintenance is key with our Jeeps they work hard.
HOAT Coolant every 5 years keeps it happy too.
In the city the jeep is an SUV..(***** up volumes of gas) What are you getting on the highway ?
What tires are you using? Size?..I bump my air pressure up by 3psi cold and check it weekly.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
MPG wise that works out to about 17mpg. Where are u located? I get about 3-4 mpg better with non ethanol, premium Chevron 94 fuel$.

TheCanadian

Reaction score
New Brunswick, Canada.

I run regular gas and throw in Lucas injector cleaner here and there. Or when i go on long trips.

I've done nothing to the fuel system besides changing plugs and cleaning the coils when i did so.

TheCanadian

Reaction score
So I was looking to do a grill mod to allow more air to go into the engine. and to the air intake since it's blocked by a piece of plastic which is strange.

Here is the link to the mod, I was wondering if anyone else has done this to their KK.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks,

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mesh grill looks cool. Functionally though I don’t think it will do much. I experimented with creating a “ram air” effect to the intake hose before and there was absolutely no change. (Intake temp, power, gas mileage, etc. tracked using my Scangauge). The other thing I wonder about is why the Jeep engineers blocked off the 1st & 7th slot in the grill. It must force more air through the center 5 right across the radiator and AC condenser, whereas spreading the air across 7 slots could interfere with efficient air movement through the radiator. But that’s just a guess. Most likely you’ll see no change in performance, but aesthetically it’s a win.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCanadian

Reaction score
The mesh grill looks cool. Functionally though I don’t think it will do much. I experimented with creating a “ram air” effect to the intake hose before and there was absolutely no change. (Intake temp, power, gas mileage, etc. tracked using my Scangauge). The other thing I wonder about is why the Jeep engineers blocked off the 1st & 7th slot in the grill. It must force more air through the center 5 right across the radiator and AC condenser, whereas spreading the air across 7 slots could interfere with efficient air movement through the radiator. But that’s just a guess. Most likely you’ll see no change in performance, but aesthetically it’s a win.

You must be registered for see images attach

You might be on to something with the rad cooling and that. It's strange how they'd block the first and seventh slots.

But even with them blocked it wouldn't allow for more air just drag since the air that hits those slots doesn't make it to the engine.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell I think the KK is the only Jeep of the era with slots blocked off. The 1st & 7th are open in the KJ Liberty as well as in the Patriot. I think they’re open in the WK Cherokee and Commander as well.