2002 jeep liberty 3.7 limited burning oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cromanuck

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum and my old 02 jeep liberty!
I’m just wondering if burning about a quart of oil every few weeks is normal? I’ve heard about jeeps burning a bit of oil. I live in the bush and drive a LOT! This old girl has needed a few things since I got her. Just hoping I don’t have to dump MORE money into her right now.

Attachments

• IMG_8358.jpeg
    IMG_8358.jpeg
    597.6 KB · Views: 4

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Should not be burning a quart every 3 weeks. Is there any oil leaks under jeep at all?
Do you see blue smoke out the tail pipe when revved hot?
Could be valve stem seals.
Probably best to do an engine compression test on all 6 cylinders as well.

Cromanuck

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Should not be burning a quart every 3 weeks. Is there any oil leaks under jeep at all?
Welcome to the forums.
I just checked and it leaks like a drop a day. No blue smoke or anything though. Ok thank you!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine burns oil. usually happens during accelerations so you wont notice blue smoke at idle. You'll smell it though.

joshcsmith13

Reaction score
My 02 is doing the same thing, but there is definitely some white/blue smoke while it's warming up. No leaks underneath though. I'm pretty sure a crank seal is a "big" job for a casual DIY-er like myself, but correct me if I'm wrong. What about valve cover gaskets? Is that a reasonable weekend job for a guy with standard tools and a little know-how?

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum and my old 02 jeep liberty!
I’m just wondering if burning about a quart of oil every few weeks is normal? I’ve heard about jeeps burning a bit of oil. I live in the bush and drive a LOT! This old girl has needed a few things since I got her. Just hoping I don’t have to dump MORE money into her right now.
If you are blowing oil, start looking for a replacement vehicle. I wasted a LOT of money trying to save my 2003 3.7L after blowing a ring. Absolutely not worth it.

Members online

No members online now.