Question regarding tire sizes and on board computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Another dead horse being beat to death
heres what I know it needs to be reset if at all possible.
Mine with the stock 235-70, then 245-70, 255-70s did not notice much difference the 265-70s just a little at times, now that I am running the 265-75 my trans is working a lot harder to maintain a constant speed it has to keep shifting down to keep me say at 70 where as before it did not have to do that.
Hopefully I can get mine done , plus when the 4.10s go in that will also help.
before it ran pretty good at say 55 would cruise all day never shift in the flat lands here, now with the 265-75s it seems to be always hunting for the right gear
I know what TJKJ is saying and it is correct, I can see where it is confusing but these are confusing times :D:D:D:D:D:D

Back to your argument

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument

ThunderbirdJunkie is on year #3 and 60k miles on 245/75-16s

And the transmission has just recently been notably goofy acting

Just because ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't noticed a problem, does not mean it wasn't there before.

Definitely seeing a transmission in this sucker's future before too long. Just FYI folks

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We're going to the dealership Saturday morning to see what a set on "Jeep"
neoprene seat covers are worth. At that time I'll enquire how much it will cost
for the re-programming.(Watch, they'll probably tell me that it cannot be done!
The Chrysler dealers here are not the brightest bulb in the box! If you know
what I meen!);)

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a mechanic at Chrysler tweaked the computer and re-calibrated the speedo and took care of the shift points at the same time.
Free of charge!
He didn't even want to accept a tip from me!

He did that for free!! dang yours isn't under warranty is it? what did you ask them when you went? i want to try and get this free deal too.. ofcourse i will tip him though:D

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
He did that for free!! dang yours isn't under warranty is it? what did you ask them when you went? i want to try and get this free deal too.. ofcourse i will tip him though:D

I asked the service adviser how much it would cost to have the speedometer re-calibrated because I have larger tires installed...
The service adviser asked one of the mechanics if it could be done.
The mechanic said: "As long as the pinion factor can be reset it shouldn't be a problem- Pull it in"
He plugged in the new tire size into his hand held computer, hit enter and it was done!
He also asked me if I wanted anyother of the keyfob features changed while he was at it!
I asked him if it was a slow day? "Yup!"

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the service adviser how much it would cost to have the speedometer re-calibrated because I have larger tires installed...
The service adviser asked one of the mechanics if it could be done.
The mechanic said: "As long as the pinion factor can be reset it shouldn't be a problem- Pull it in"
He plugged in the new tire size into his hand held computer, hit enter and it was done!
He also asked me if I wanted anyother of the keyfob features changed while he was at it!
I asked him if it was a slow day? "Yup!"

haha looks like I'm gonna take a trip up to the jeep dealership today. cant wait to tweak my keyfob haha :D

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh an ryan did that help with shifting and all that? just realized you asked him about the speedo.. because I've noticed mine "gear hunts" did you notice it running better after they did the programming?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
oh an ryan did that help with shifting and all that? just realized you asked him about the speedo.. because I've noticed mine "gear hunts" did you notice it running better after they did the programming?

The KJ shifts and drives super smooth!
No more hunting for gears (Although I only felt it twice since driving with the bigger tyres.) But there is a noticable difference in the shifting now.
We're still getting the same fuel economy than before the lift and tyres.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ shifts and drives super smooth!
No more hunting for gears (Although I only felt it twice since driving with the bigger tyres.) But there is a noticable difference in the shifting now.
We're still getting the same fuel economy than before the lift and tyres.

I'm psyched to have her feeling healthy again. Thanks man :D

my luck they'll charge me an arm and a leg..

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They want ******* $99 to recalibrate it.. wtf sorry for words admins but damn.. have some sympathy jeep... I'm almost scared to ask how much they'd want to fix my stupid speed sensor ********.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
They want ******* $99 to recalibrate it.. wtf sorry for words admins but damn.. have some sympathy jeep... I'm almost scared to ask how much they'd want to fix my stupid speed sensor ********.

Try the other Chrysler/Jeep dealers in your local, maybe email each one of them first to see if they are in the same ball park as far as price is concerned.
A $100.00 is too much, but then again, I expected to pay $50.00-$60.00 for the adjustment!
I didn't think I'd get it done for free!
But, if you do bring it in to have the speed sensor repaired/replaced, ask them to re-calibrate the speedo while their at it!

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the other Chrysler/Jeep dealers in your local, maybe email each one of them first to see if they are in the same ball park as far as price is concerned.
A $100.00 is too much, but then again, I expected to pay $50.00-$60.00 for the adjustment!
I didn't think I'd get it done for free!
But, if you do bring it in to have the speed sensor repaired/replaced, ask them to re-calibrate the speedo while their at it!

well thers signs all over the service department saying non warantable repairs are a minimum of $99.. i was just gonna get the sensor from rock auto and put it in myself.. i feel like my trans isnt benefitting from the bad shift points eventually ill have to just give them the $99.. plus my bearins are really really bad now too. if i get them done at jeep ill see if they cant flash it real quick

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will ask my dealer next week what they want to recalibrate Cherry (I just decided that is what my red KJ is going to be named)

I am running 245/75/16 goodyear mtrs and my speedo is within 1mph of my gps and my brothers gps (both cell phones).