Question on tire size (and my first thread yay!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not a :3681700093_1f8b56e8
I just put OME 927/948 with bilsteins. I've had Helo HE879 wheels with 235/70/16's.
I was wondering what the biggest tire I can put on. Wheel spec is:
16x8 with 4.5 backspacing (so 0 offset).
I'm thinking about putting 245/75/16's like most lifted kj's but I just want to know if any bigger tires are possible option.

I'm really hoping 265/75/16's can work.

You must be registered for see images

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid you would do well to do some research on here, as this question has been asked and answered many times.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this is not a :3681700093_1f8b56e8
I just put OME 927/948 with bilsteins. I've had Helo HE879 wheels with 235/70/16's.
I was wondering what the biggest tire I can put on. Wheel spec is:
16x8 with 4.5 backspacing (so 0 offset).
I'm thinking about putting 245/75/16's like most lifted kj's but I just want to know if any bigger tires are possible option.

I'm really hoping 265/75/16's can work.

Are you lifting more than 2 .5 inches ?
Too wide of a wheel , bad backspacing with width
245-75-16s without a regear
to run 265-75-16s you need 4 inches of lift and at least 4.10 gears

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you lifting more than 2 .5 inches ?
Too wide of a wheel , bad backspacing with width
245-75-16s without a regear
to run 265-75-16s you need 4 inches of lift and at least 4.a0 gears

he means 4:10 .. and for 35's you need to change to a steel diff and 4:88

Last edited by a moderator:

JEP2574

Reaction score
265/70R-16 or 265/75R-16 pending on your choice. For both sizes I would recommend a lift, 2.5" or higher pending on your wheel backspacing higher would be prefer to keep them from rubbing on the front fender specially at the pinch seam and OEM front bumper air deflector. When it comes to gears, I have not change mine with my old Swampers SSR 31 X 12.5 or my most current MT's Bajas STZ 265/70R-16. I don't have any issues with my original gearing even on the beach. Of course I made some small modifications like an aux transmission cooler, throttle spacer, cold air intake. I do have to keep in mind that I am travelling about 2 to 3 miles faster than what my speedometer shows. OK... if you're going to use it as an offroad adventure vehicle you might wanna consider differential gears and lockers pending on the adventure. If you're going with 35's well, definitely recommend the front steel differential and gears.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
265/70R-16 or 265/75R-16 pending on your choice. For both sizes I would recommend a lift, 2.5" or higher pending on your wheel backspacing higher would be prefer to keep them from rubbing on the front fender specially at the pinch seam and OEM front bumper air deflector. When it comes to gears, I have not change mine with my old Swampers SSR 31 X 12.5 or my most current MT's Bajas STZ 265/70R-16. I don't have any issues with my original gearing even on the beach. I do have to keep in mind that I am travelling about 2 to 3 miles faster than what my speedometer shows. OK... if you're going to use it as an offroad adventure vehicle you might wanna consider differential gears and lockers pending on the adventure. If you're going with 35's well, definitely recommend the front steel differential and gears.

Uh well you better look again
There is quite a difference between 265-70-16s and 265-75-16s.
Yes you can run 265-70-16s and a 2.5 inch lift BUT NOT 265-75-16s
Gearing does not come into play much driving down the beach IT DOES come into play on the highway though, more wear and tear on the engine and transmission .
If going 35s , then SFA is it , never going to do it and do it right with IFS

Its a KJ Thing coming in I guess

Throttle body spacer does nothing at all on newer model vehicles only where gas and air are entering together
CAIs, stock air box does better at bringing in cooler air

Last edited:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies guys! I've decided to go with 265/70/16's. I might do a clevis lift in future to give more clearance, but it seems like to put 265/75 it requires too much modifying. (for me anyway) I found out if I went with 15 inch wheel I could have put 31x10.50's but oh well haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies guys! I've decided to go with 265/70/16's. I might do a clevis lift in future to give more clearance, but it seems like to put 265/75 it requires too much modifying. (for me anyway) I found out if I went with 15 inch wheel I could have put 31x10.50's but oh well haha

Good choice on that width wheel , you may have some rubbing due to the backspacing but shouldn't be too bad. Have you pounded over the pinch weld areas yet? If not I'd do that first

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice on that width wheel , you may have some rubbing due to the backspacing but shouldn't be too bad. Have you pounded over the pinch weld areas yet? If not I'd do that first

Thank you! I have, thanks to information I've found on this forum. However pounding that pinch weld didnt give me enough clearance and still rubs on the very edge. I'm trying to see if i can go to home depot and get some metal cutting blade to cut edges off. I have trimmed some wheel well as well. Only thing i couldve done was I could have bent front right side of fender liner where washer fluid is instead of just cutting it, and yes i cut it. But oh well, the damage is done haha.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Its hard to see but very edge where black paint has worn off is where it rubs. It is only on right side so maybe i should have banged it some more.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T cut....Bang it flat and repaint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Its hard to see but very edge where black paint has worn off is where it rubs. It is only on right side so maybe i should have banged it some more.

HIT IT !!!! 3 lb hammer and go for it
DO NOT CUT
Plus if you cut the plastic right it can be folded right back over
Knew at that height and the backspacing it would hit thats why we recommend certain width and backspacing

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. So no cutting, just gonna have my mechanic bend it when he does alignment tomorrow. I will remind him to just use hammer :) as far as rim and backspacing, I already have these rims so I'm not planning to buy another set just yet :(. What can i do but to try to work with what i have lol. I wish i did some research before I bought these rims haha. I didnt know about this forum back then. I bought the rims as soon as I bought my libby 6 month ago. Loved it so far until I ran into these problems. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and keep you guys updated!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.