Question on K&N Air Intake/Air Charger/Performance Kit..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a Performance Intake Kit (77-1540KP) and the Air Charger (63-1103)? They are almost $100 apart in price, but just looking at the descriptions, they basically do the same job (?); increase horsepower and make cool noises from the engine. O:)

Then there are those 'generic' kits on eBay with K&N filters at the tips that are less then $100...are those garbage?

I'm interested in installing one of these kits for my 05 KJ. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
from the K and N site...

A sister product to our 57 Series FIPK, our 63 Series Intake Kits or AirCharger® Intakes are built for many different vehicles and represent a dramatic improvement over a K&N O/E replacement filter alone. They enjoy a faster speed to market than our 57 Series kits due to their pending CARB status. These intakes use only non-metallic rotationally molded tubes that can reduce intake air temperature and decrease intake sound over a metal tube. Restriction can exist BETWEEN an air filter and the engine reducing the benefit of a K&N Air Filter. The weakest link in the airflow "chain" robs a vehicle of its natural horsepower. Often that weak point is the factory air path leading to the Engine. K&N Air Intake Kits virtually eliminate air path restriction by replacing the air filter and the entire air path to the engine. The aerodynamically engineered tube drives a massive amount of air into an engine, which translates into POWER. 63 Series Intake Kits are not legal for street use in some U.S. states. [MORE]

63-1103 Product Specifications
Product Style: 63 Series Aircharger Kits
Estimated Horsepower Gain: 6.36 HP @ 5274 RPM
Replacement Filter: RF-1048
CARB Exempt: No
Weight: 9.5 lb (4.3 kg)
Product Box Length: 18.38 in (467 mm)
Product Box Width: 12.38 in (314 mm)
Product Box Height: 12.75 in (324 mm)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-1103

Built for performance and show utilizing the highest quality components, the K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit is a free-flowing mandrel-bent aluminum tube induction system designed for Trucks and Sport Utility Vehicles. 77-Series intakes have a polished aluminum finish. K&N intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction as they smooth and straighten air flow. This allows your vehicle's engine to inhale a larger volume of air than the OEM air filter assembly. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range. The filters on these kits are washable and reusable. Most of our intake kits are relatively easy to install using tools commonly available (see installation instructions). [MORE]

77-1540KP Product Specifications
Product Style: 77 Series Kits
Estimated Horsepower Gain: 5.92 HP @ 4054 RPM
Color: Polished
Replacement Filter: RF-1048
Weight: 11.6 lb (5.2 kg)
Product Box Length: 23 in (584 mm)
Product Box Width: 14.38 in (365 mm)
Product Box Height: 12.25 in (311 mm)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=77-1540KP

seems like the 63 offers more gain than the 77
but....it's marginal....so price wise...the cheaper one would probably be the better value...

unsure how those kits are in ebay..the cheap ones..anyway.. i've heard volant makes comparable ones

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Jon.

I read the details...they still sound alike to me. kopkrab.gif
All I can see is better acceleration, more horsepower...better air flow...

I don't know...gotta do some more research. Anyone have one of these intake systems in their KJ? Is it worth it?

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 63-1103 in my KJ....Other than a different sucking sound, i didn't notice any gains until i paired it with a better exhaust system. Install was fairly painless tho, about 1.5 hours, a good chuck of it was wrestling the molding onto the heat shield.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9, you have an 2005. Those knock-offs, clones, whatever, on Ebay are garbage. They do no accomodate the IAT sensor package at the throttle body. You will throw codes without that. The sellers on Ebay saying it covers from 02-06, are lying. Plain and simple. Stick with a name brand product. My grandpa used to say, buying the best, only hurts once.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A really good point....because generics aren't vehicle specific, at the very least you are going to run into installation problems. Mopar also makes a kit (which btw looks like the older K&N kit and inexplicably goes for $356, link here); on website for the dealership where i get most of of my new parts, they clearly state:

"This part will fit 2004-2005 models with a modification. A hole must be drilled in the tube and a grommet(sold separately) installed to accomodate the Air Temp Sensor. No returns once the modification has been attempted."

So at the very least if you go the ebay route you are drilling holes and you are on your own. With either K&N system, there is none of that. The directions are clear and the pictures come from an install on a LIberty. I also haven't seen an ebay cheapie with a heat shield...on the K&N, it also serves to keep the tube securely in place.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs, guys.

Yeah, I always suspect eBay stuff are garbage; especially, the stuff with prices too good to be true.

I've got a Borla muffler (just a muffler)...you think by adding a 63-1103 would make a noticable difference? How's the gas mileage affected?

By the way, what's the "sucking sound" you mentioned, Broilermaker? Is it sort of like a whistling sound?

Thanks.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, what's the "sucking sound" you mentioned, Broilermaker? Is it sort of like a whistling sound?
Yea, kind of..not quite a whistle but definately rushing air thru a small opening. Louder than the stock, but not loud enough to notice from inside the cabin. The reason i chose the 63 series over the 77 is that i didn't want a metal tube sound. If you don't mind the sound, then the 77 seems to be a better choice because of the price difference. Even K&N's own claims about HP increase show little difference; less than .5HP at RPMs not often reached in a KJ anyway (well at least i dont get to 4K and 5K much).

As far as milage increases, don't know about just a borla muffler, but after installing the mopar dual muffler i've been getting about 1-2mpg more. I think its been mentioned here before, but it seems like the mopar dual exhaust system is a borla, at least the tips are stamped borla.

Blue_Liberty

Reaction score
Honestly, don't waste your money on a CAI unless you are doing other mods that go with it, i.e. bigger TB, better flowing heads, headers or exhaust mods, etc...

In the stock configuration, the intake and cylinders need x amount of cfm air flow coming into the intake. The air is then pulled into the cylinder on the intake stroke. The stock air assembly flows enough cfm to meet that need, that's the way it is designed. It's not designed to provide insufficient air, it's designed to meet the needs of the engine in stock configuration. This is why people often say they saw no improvements when they added a CAI. Just because it flows more air does not mean the engine is using more. It is still using all it needs and all that it can pull in through the TB into the intake on the intake stroke, same amount it gets from the stock air assembly.

But, when you pair that CAI with mods that require and/or benefit from more air flow, then the stock air assembly can no longer flow enough cfm to meet the intake needs. Putting a CAI on at this point will show results because the extra cfm airflow it provides is actually needed, and actually gets used. Remember, an engine is nothing but a big air pump.

Others say that with all that aside, a CAI is still better because it pulls in "cold air" which is denser and creates more power. I say, check to see were your stock intake is actually getting its air from first. I think you will find that it is a very cool source. A CAI is really only better that a stock air source if the stock air source is inside the engine compartment (like the old round air filters on top of carburators). Cooler air has been known to make more power for a long time. That is why they quit putting round air filters on the top of the engines (which pulls in hot air from the engine compartment) and moved the incoming air source to places like the fender wells. I think it is ironic that a CAI ("cold air" intake) system puts the filter back in the engine compartment. At least some CAI's have heat shields or box the filter. The ones that don't are like a step backward in air intake technology. Might as well put a round air filter back on. It would at least give air the advantage of not having to travel as far.

Just my 2 cents and some other yammerings.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue_Liberty said:
Honestly, don't waste your money on a CAI unless you are doing other mods that go with it, i.e. bigger TB, better flowing heads, headers or exhaust mods, etc...

You're right. I imagine the concept is like car audio. I started off just replacing the stock speakers and an HU. Next thing I knew I replaced everything else and added amps and a sub.

Guess I'll wait until I go back to the states. I was just itching to mod something on my KJ. Maybe I'll go for a lift kit. =P~

speleorelic

Reaction score
cold air intake

I purchased a cold air intake off ebay for $52. It came from Chrome Intakes. It has a cone shaped K&N filter. I was able to keep the stock air filter box, which prevents water getting sucked into the engine if you hit a big puddle. As you can see from the pic, there are two chromed aluminum pipes, each with a small fitting welded on for the breather tubes coming off the engine. I blocked off one down near the filter and piped them both into a T and then into the welded fitting near the throttle. I also installed a Throttle Body Spacer. There is a noticable gain in power and I am expecting even more power with the addition of a high flow muffler. I also researched all the different CAI packages,, and there was just no way I could spend $250 for a different air filter, and a plastic baffle/heat shield. The good thing about retaining the stock airfilter box is that the new filter is protected from water,, and the stock air tubes that direct air into the air box are still doing the job.

You must be registered for see images

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went even simpler than George did, i got the Rusty's air tube and a 9"
K+N filter. i removed the airbox and filter, installed the rusty's part, which is nothing more than a neck-down fitting, and clamped on the filter.
yes, it sounds great; yes, it gets wet if yer swimmin yer rig. istall time was about 10 minutes.