Question about knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sigboi

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an 07 KJ 3.7L with about 170k on it. It started knocking recently and I wanted to ask if mine was on its way out.

It doesn't knock at all when cold, only when warmed up and driven for a while.

It's noticeable from inside the cabin, and I can feel it pulse through the brake pedal when stopped, but from outside, you can't hear it.

I've searched, and most people say that theirs knock all the time no matter what and it's noticeable from the outside.

Is mine just in the early stages, or is it something else I hope?

Thanks!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like yours in early stages of an engine failure of some type. But I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

sigboi

Reaction score
It might be, I just wanted to verify. It doesn't knock at all when its driving, only when it is stopped in Drive or Reverse. When it is stopped and in Park it doesn't make any knocking sounds. Really weird.

Anyone else have any inputs?

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice mine makes a slight knock sometimes when stopped in drive. I've owned it for a year and half and it always did this. I'm hoping this is common, it runs fine otherwise and hasn't changed at all.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it kicks just in drive and not while driving then you shoud check into the motor mounts. If they're bad the engine will cause the bolt in the center of the mount bang against the outer ring of the mount.

If the mounts are OK then a rod bearing could be on its way out. Happened to me...

Bob