Push button start wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cirsory

Reaction score
Anyone knows what wires to use to install a push button start or have a wire schematic for an 06 libby. I want a switch to turn on acc and a button to actually start it.
I'm doing this because the key cyliinder broke and i'm too cheap to pay a few hundred to replace it at the stealership.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can wait a couple hours i can get the ignition diagram off alldata. My phone freezes when i ry to copy an image code

Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cylinder itself? Or the actuating pin that normally breaks?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what wires to use to install a push button start or have a wire schematic for an 06 libby. I want a switch to turn on acc and a button to actually start it.
I'm doing this because the key cyliinder broke and i'm too cheap to pay a few hundred to replace it at the stealership.

If your ignition switch itself is still working you can remove it off the end of the cylinder. Then with the key in the normal ignition to disable steering lock and to enable the SKIM anti-theft module you can turn the ignition switch to START by using a small screwdriver.

You would always need to have your key inside the SKIM sensing ring even if you replaced the ignition key with seperate switches. This is not so easy to do as you need an OFF position, an Ignition ON position and a Run Start position....you can do it with relays if needed.
As stated above, what has broken...your ignition switch itself or the actuator bar?. Actuator bars can be bought for about $70 I believe...there are lots of threads here and on other forums on how to obtain one without going to a Stealership...look at the Sticky here "how to start the KJ with broken ignition actuator".:shrug:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this done on several diff vehicles, never because the ignition was broken but because they thought it was cool. you will deff need to use relays but as long as the original solenoid is in working order you should be able to make it work. that being said be prepared to replace the ignition if you can not wire it correctly. any way i found some diagrams pertaining to the ignition system.

this is a connector description
You must be registered for see images attach

this shows your 5 ignition position relays, starter etc

if you have some basic electrical know how you shouldnt have to much trouble getting this to work. let me know how you make out, i may be interested in doing this to. i just think its a cool idea lol.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this done on several diff vehicles, never because the ignition was broken but because they thought it was cool. you will deff need to use relays but as long as the original solenoid is in working order you should be able to make it work. that being said be prepared to replace the ignition if you can not wire it correctly. any way i found some diagrams pertaining to the ignition system.

this is a connector description

this shows your 5 ignition position relays, starter etc

if you have some basic electrical know how you shouldnt have to much trouble getting this to work. let me know how you make out, i may be interested in doing this to. i just think its a cool idea lol.

Yeah this is the way to do it but you will still need to have the key near the ignition lock cylinder to get SKIS to work.....assuming you have SKIS fitted.:shrug:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 isnt a chipped key. Not sure about an 06 or if theres a diff between sport,limited etc. If you do have one im not sure that can be bypassed. I lost the remote part to my vw key a while back and tried like hell to work around it. If it can be done it will take some heavy re-wiring and the ability to program the computer.

cirsory

Reaction score
Yeah mine is chipped so they key has to be there. I knew that I would have to use relays, I have enough electrical knowledge to take on the project. Thanks for the info.

lestar

Reaction score
In case any one wants to know, in my 06 liberty crd, if I use my remote start to start the vehicle then I can use my unchipped key. It seems to only senses for the key while the little red dot on the dash is on which is only on for the first few seconds after you turn the key to the on position.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for all the effort, you would be spending wiser to fix it yourself with a new tumbler, and dropping it off @ dealer to pay the $50 service fee to program the new key.