Purchasing Brakes and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Brake Best pads and rotors went on @ approx 130,000 (Silverado SS) Truck's got approx 240,000 now. Still 1/3+ material left. For around $18.00, not doing too bad. But then I put a lot more wear on the "GO" pedal than the "WOAH" pedal.

Libby's still got decent brakes, so haven't replaced em yet.

O'Reilly crate engine 3.7 sure is a sweet running little hummer though. And $2,800. was a better price than any other I found

Bob
Sorry but gotta raise the BS flag on that one,even the OEM stuff for older GM's(early to mid 2000's) had a hard time breaking 100k and they lasted 2-3 times longer then any aftermarket stuff.Aftermarket rotors are barely over discard and cheap steel unless you pay the $$$ for the good steel(Napa Ultra Premium are USA made).And yes even big names like Brembo are made in china.

As far as anything from o'reilly's is concerned..................................

Let's say the shop I work at no longer deals with them,the last straw was last month with a cylinder head,after 6 attempts they still could not supply a head that was not messed up right out of the box.It was so bad there local rep had to force the store to buy a whole engine for our customer on there dime.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but gotta raise the BS flag on that one,even the OEM stuff for older GM's(early to mid 2000's) had a hard time breaking 100k and they lasted 2-3 times longer then any aftermarket stuff.Aftermarket rotors are barely over discard and cheap steel unless you pay the $$$ for the good steel(Napa Ultra Premium are USA made).And yes even big names like Brembo are made in china.

Napa Ultra Premium have proven to be garbage. While the pads have good life left on them the rotors began to warp already. The pads rear shims are also falling apart. (Front) The back seem to be OK with the adaptive one pads.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As far as anything from o'reilly's is concerned..................................

Let's say the shop I work at no longer deals with them,the last straw was last month with a cylinder head,after 6 attempts they still could not supply a head that was not messed up right out of the box.It was so bad there local rep had to force the store to buy a whole engine for our customer on there dime.
The napa ultra premium rotors had a big Ole China sticker on them when I got them a few months ago....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa Ultra Premium have proven to be garbage. While the pads have good life left on them the rotors began to warp already. The pads rear shims are also falling apart. (Front) The back seem to be OK with the adaptive one pads.
How you drive affects that.I warped a set of Powerslots cyro frozen rotors but then again I just had front brakes as the rears were soaked in gear oil at the time.In 2 years I have not warped mine on my KJ since my Black Magic pads ripped through the supplied Centric rotors in 5000 miles.

The napa ultra premium rotors had a big Ole China sticker on them when I got them a few months ago....
If I cared to buy another battery for my camera I could show you proof that mine are made in the USA from the box since I have another set of rotors sitting right here.Granted mine are not for a KJ since I'm SFA'd.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but gotta raise the BS flag on that one,even the OEM stuff for older GM's(early to mid 2000's) had a hard time breaking 100k and they lasted 2-3 times longer then any aftermarket stuff.Aftermarket rotors are b,arely over discard and cheap steel unless you pay the $$$ for the good steel(Napa Ultra Premium are USA made).And yes even big names like Brembo are made in china.

Call BS, or BR549, or "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.,, I really don't give a d@mn. My professional experiences go back before your were born, and if you're lucky will continue even after you learn how little you know. Ever spent time as a service writer? Scheduler? Book keeper? Customer relations? Inventory management? All of the above at the same time? If not, maybe you can grow into a better position than a simple tech.

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call BS, or BR549, or "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.,, I really don't give a d@mn. My professional experiences go back before your were born, and if you're lucky will continue even after you learn how little you know. Ever spent time as a service writer? Scheduler? Book keeper? Customer relations? Inventory management? All of the above at the same time? If not, maybe you can grow into a better position than a simple tech.

Bob
Yep and add.......................

Hazmat
QA inspector(in and out bound vehicles)
Parts order/distribution
Major tool management($50 million worth)
Unit vehicle ship master loader

^^^all at age 19^^^

Then add...................

Certified collision inspector
Certified wrecker operator
Autobody tech(yep ASE certified there to)

And if you want technical I also managed over 1000 pieces of equipment and 21 personnel in a combat area for a year.

So know I'm just relaxing and taking my time enjoying the simpler work.

Or do you just want to whip them out and see who's is bigger?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Different spec rotors must be made in different plants. The Terra Grapplers on the KJ were made in Japan but the ones on the LR3 are Murican made. I've bought two sets for both so it's not just a total switch.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads and Bendix rotors - front and back - on mine. Over 14,000 miles and no problems at all.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you drive affects that.I warped a set of Powerslots cyro frozen rotors but then again I just had front brakes as the rears were soaked in gear oil at the time.In 2 years I have not warped mine on my KJ since my Black Magic pads ripped through the supplied Centric rotors in 5000 miles.

I do a lot of engine braking. And this still doesn't explain why the pad shims are literally falling off the back of the pads.

Point is...never getting these again. $400 brakes that are doing what $100 sets should do.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since our KJ is a manual trans, seems the brakes deteriorate from rust before wearing out. :shrug: Ive replaced rear pads, shoes, and one caliper in 40,000km. That was the result of a caliper seizing, and the parking shoe linings falling off. Seeing that, I just bought the cheapest stuff I could find.