Problem Starting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KittyKat

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im new the forum. I have a 02 Jeep Libby Limited with 75k miles on it. Just recently has been taking forever to start and has been getting progress worse.

Im pretty sure its not the battery because it sounds strong when cranking it. It will take like 6-10 seconds of cranking to get it started. The check engine light isn’t on as well. There is also a heavy smell of gas and blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when it finally starts. Sometimes when driving when you let off of the gas the jeep kicks back.

Any help is much appreciated; I just don’t want to take it to the mechanic if there is no check engine light.
:-({|=

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like it's flooding out.....and the blue smoke indicates oil that is being burned.....not good.

Done a tune up lately? How's the oil level look? Also can you describe this kicking back when you let off the gas?

Is it doing long crank times every time you start it, or only on a cold start? How about the blue smoke, how often does it do that?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long has it been since the plugs were changed? Since you smell gas, obviously its not firing when its cranking like that. I would say the intake could use a good cleaning out also.

KittyKat

Reaction score
No i havent done a tune up lately which Im going to get done ASAP now, and usually its only on cold starts when it doesnt start right away. the kicking back feeling more feels like a miss within the engine. It is probably related to the spark plugs. Im just wondering where should I take it to get this fixed. I dont like Stealerships to much and Im wondering if local shops can do the work without the trial and error phase. Also I need to get my brakes done as well.

2003KJ

Reaction score
How often is it kicking back?

There are misfire counters that are built into the computer of just about all OBD-II (96+) vehicles, and after so many misfires in a certain period of time, or if a significant/constant misfire occurs, it should throw a CEL and tell you there's been a misfire problem.

As for the smelling gas, I can see how that is related to the long crank time, as it's flooding out. However the blue smoke, which indicates burning oil has me worried that you have another problem.

I would definitely start with a good tune up. As far as shops go, I honestly can't recommend anybody to you. Doing a tune up is really very simple, provided you have some common sense, basic tools, and a basic shop manual. However, if you don't feel confident in doing the work yourself, better off taking it somewhere.

Have you had the Jeep since new? Also, where are you located?

Oh and (welcome) to the site by the way!

KittyKat

Reaction score
I just took it to the local monkey. He says it needs a tune up and the throttle body needs to be cleaned up.

2003KJ

Reaction score
KittyKat said:
I just took it to the local monkey. He says it needs a tune up and the throttle body needs to be cleaned up.

Sounds about right so far. You aught to notice a nice little increase in your gas mileage once you get it back, judging from what you said it was doing.