Premium Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grape8pe

Reaction score
My right front door speaker is rattling like it is blown. I went to the dealer to purchase a replacement and they quoted me $142.00 because I have the premium sound system.

From what I understand, the premium speakers have an amp attached to them, which possibly limits my upgrade possibilities. What are my options? I have really enjoyed the sound of my current factory setup, so I'm no looking at a major upgrade. I like my stock headunit and factory CD changer setup. I'm just looking for the cheapest option to regain my front speaker. Thanks in advance.

Brice
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grape8pe said:
My right front door speaker is rattling like it is blown. I went to the dealer to purchase a replacement and they quoted me $142.00 because I have the premium sound system.

From what I understand, the premium speakers have an amp attached to them, which possibly limits my upgrade possibilities. What are my options? I have really enjoyed the sound of my current factory setup, so I'm no looking at a major upgrade. I like my stock headunit and factory CD changer setup. I'm just looking for the cheapest option to regain my front speaker. Thanks in advance.

Brice

$145?! I just paid $205 for one and that was the cheapest. I just blew another and am planning on redoing the entire system. I just ordered Polk Audios off Crutchfield and have noticed the Infinitys aren't worth the money (paper cone for one).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
$142.00 ? rip off.
Although you are not planning to upgrade your own stuff, look at ebay, etc for a salvage "premium" speaker.
It is very easy to replace factory amp+speaker, it is connected by it's own wiring harness, you would just unplug old one, plug new one.

Unless you want to upgrade your sounds system.
$180 HU, $200 component system (6 speakers), $50-$100 amp

or HU + 2 set of speakers + amp, keep the factory tweeters.

grape8pe

Reaction score
desertkj said:
grape8pe said:

Brice

$145?! I just paid $205 for one and that was the cheapest. I just blew another and am planning on redoing the entire system. I just ordered Polk Audios off Crutchfield and have noticed the Infinitys aren't worth the money (paper cone for one).

Do I have to replace my headunit to use aftermarket speakers? If I were to replace my speakers with aftermarkets, would I use use of the tweeters in the dash?

Brice

grape8pe

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
$142.00 ? rip off.
Although you are not planning to upgrade your own stuff, look at ebay, etc for a salvage "premium" speaker.
It is very easy to replace factory amp+speaker, it is connected by it's own wiring harness, you would just unplug old one, plug new one.

I'm having a hard time finding a listing on ebay for the speaker I need. Most of the listings are for Jeep Grand Cherokee dash tweeters. Any suggestions on other places that might sell the speaker I'm looking for?

Brice

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grape8pe said:
desertkj said:
grape8pe said:

Brice

Do I have to replace my headunit to use aftermarket speakers? If I were to replace my speakers with aftermarkets, would I use use of the tweeters in the dash?

Brice

OK. I havent installed mine yet. They are sitting next to me. I'll tell you what two different installers have told me. First, I dont believe the dash tweeters have anything to do with the four speakers, especially since with aftermarket speakers, youa re just splicing the wire (at least the way I'm doing it), and not completely replacing. As far as the amp, you are right you will lose it. I've heard that you will lose volume, but not sure how much. However, according to someone I spoke to at Crutchfield, the DB650s I bought are very sensitive and they really dont expect me to lose too much from the factory amp. Also, I should let you know since you are worried about tweeters that the new speakers I got, each one has a small tweeter built in. So, I'll go from two tweeters to six. I've already replaced one "premium" speaker and I would definitely recommend not spending the money. That amp is the only thing premium about them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
grape8pe said:
hyedipin said:
$142.00 ? rip off.

I'm having a hard time finding a listing on ebay for the speaker I need. Most of the listings are for Jeep Grand Cherokee dash tweeters. Any suggestions on other places that might sell the speaker I'm looking for?

Brice

how about jeep parts online stores, e-mail them if you can.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh gosh.. $142 for a stock speaker!! $205! I think i paid $90 for a pair of rear MTX speakers. You could almost get a set of speakers and an amp for $200!! :-s

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know man.. $50 + shipping for a single stock speaker..
You can probably save your money, just drive around with a single speaker, and get a full replacement later on.

but that looks right, still check around.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
You can probably save your money, just drive around with a single speaker, and get a full replacement later on.

Thats what I did. I got these now http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db650/
You may want to look at that page. It shows the difference between a good surround and a foam one like the "premiums" are. I realized I will never pay for the premium sound system in another vehicle.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I think it would be rediculous to pay that much for a factory speaker. As said before, you can get much better factory replacements for not much more money. BTW, I had posted in another thread about the "premium" speakers a while back. I still don't see what makes them so "premium" (especially after seeing that pic)....the regular factory speakers I took out of mine looked ALOT better than those "premiums" do. They actually had rubber surrounds and looked more like a true component set. Not to say I regret replacing them, my new Infinity's are amazing.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
hyedipin said:

Thats what I did. I got these now http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db650/
You may want to look at that page. It shows the difference between a good surround and a foam one like the "premiums" are. I realized I will never pay for the premium sound system in another vehicle.

how did you set them up? These are 6-1/2", factory openings are 6 3/4". The brackets from crutchfield has terrible reviews, that's the reason I did not change my speakers. Did you get these on top of stock stereo, or aftermarket HU? if so what amps are you running?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
desertkj said:
hyedipin said:

how did you set them up? These are 6-1/2", factory openings are 6 3/4". The brackets from crutchfield has terrible reviews, that's the reason I did not change my speakers. Did you get these on top of stock stereo, or aftermarket HU? if so what amps are you running?

Honestly, I havent installed them. I can do a write up if you like when I do. Just havent gotten to do it with the holidays and all. And I may have 6 3/4", I just found the speaker. However, I am waiting to see how the speakers do with the stock HU as I was told the Polk Audios are very sensitive. If not, I'll get an amp and new HU with iPod and Sirius capability. I'd rather shell out $500 on much better aftermarket stuff, than $250 on one Mopar thing that I'll most likely fry again (Killswitch Engage at 21 evidentally doesnt thrill these speakers).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, please let us know what you end up doing. I will have to do something with my speakers to take advantage of my new head unit, since the stock speakers are not doing so great at low volumes with bass, the bass doesn't start knocking unless I turn overall volume up. So I will have to get a subwoofer first, if that doesn't do the trick of getting bass at low levels, I will try to do an overall later on.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
desertkj said:
hyedipin said:

Mine are 6 1/2" and there was no problem at all installing them in the 6 3/4" opening. There may be a little gap, but most speakers come with some type of bracket that may cover it up. If not, you can use "dynamat" or equivalent to fill it in. (I got "accumat" from wal-mart for $10)

grape8pe

Reaction score
Here's the real question though, if I were to go out and purchase aftermarket speakers, would I lose use of the tweeters in the dash? Would the stock headunit be strong enough to power aftermarket speakers? The stock speakers have some sort of amp attatched.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never really messed with the "premium" speakers so I'm not sure about this, but I have read on here about possibly reattaching those amps to some new speakers. If so, you could have new speakers with better sound and still keep those factory amps. :-k

If it were me, I'd go ahead and replace the HU and door speakers. Aftermarket HU would putout probably about the same wattage as those factory amps, and then you could replace the speakers without having to worry about those amps. Oh, and you wouldn't lose your tweeters....in mine I just replaced the door speakers and the dash tweeters are still working fine.

Mine:
Alpine CDE-9846 HU
Infinity ref6012i 6 1/2" speakers (2 pair)
Infinity Basslink powered sub

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does that mean the tweeters are not powered by the amps in the door..
06Liberty, you had to run new wiring to those speakers, right?