Premium Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
So does that mean the tweeters are not powered by the amps in the door..
06Liberty, you had to run new wiring to those speakers, right?
The rear and tweeters are powered by the amps in the front door.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
in 06Liberty's setup what is powering his tweeters? Solely HU ? He mentioned powered sub, but no individual amp for cones.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like I said, I didn't have the "premium" sound system in mine. So all I did was replace the door speakers and plug in a new HU. So I'm assuming there are wires going straight from the HU to the dash tweeters. On my door speakers all I had to do was cut the factory plug off the factory speaker wire and hook up the new speaker to it.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
like I said, I didn't have the "premium" sound system in mine. So all I did was replace the door speakers and plug in a new HU. So I'm assuming there are wires going straight from the HU to the dash tweeters. On my door speakers all I had to do was cut the factory plug off the factory speaker wire and hook up the new speaker to it.
The premium system has the front and rear wires going to the amp in each door. From there it feeds the rear speakers, and has a built in crossover that feeds the tweeters.
Here are the wiring diagrams.
http://inmyhappyplace.com/jeep/image/speaker/pfront.jpg
http://inmyhappyplace.com/jeep/image/speaker/pback.jpg

grape8pe

Reaction score
billforde said:
06Liberty said:
The premium system has the front and rear wires going to the amp in each door. From there it feeds the rear speakers, and has a built in crossover that feeds the tweeters.

So it looks like there are 10 wires going into a single amp attatched to the speaker in the door. Does that sound right?

Brice
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grape8pe said:
billforde said:
06Liberty said:

So it looks like there are 10 wires going into a single amp attatched to the speaker in the door. Does that sound right?

Brice
Actually the connector to the amp has 8 if i remember correctly. 4 in (FRONT and BACK from the radio) and 4 out (REAR Speaker and Tweeter). The other two your thinking of goes from the amp to front speaker directly.
You must be registered for see images attach

grape8pe

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I think I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into now. Thanks for everyone's help!

Brice

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Info, Thanks.

So I guess what 06Liberty did could be done on premium speakers as well with new wiring from the HU. I guess my Kenwood X590 can power new speakers well enough, to sound better than premium speakers? When I talked to crutchfield, they said I would need to pull new wires since I could not use what was already there.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Good Info, Thanks.

So I guess what 06Liberty did could be done on premium speakers as well with new wiring from the HU. I guess my Kenwood X590 can power new speakers well enough, to sound better than premium speakers? When I talked to crutchfield, they said I would need to pull new wires since I could not use what was already there.
Unfortunately crutchfield is sort of right about the premium speakers. Because of the fact the all signals a feed to the front door amp (which isnt the case in the non premium), you will have to do a lot more work to make use of the exsiting wiring. Instead of keeping the tweeters, you may want to get component speakers for the fronts, which may make your life easier.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but with those I would have to buy tweeters+fronts, then get rears seperately, since components come only with fronts + tweeters.

How do rears get the signal? From what I see the crossovers that come with them have TW and WF outputs, does that mean we run the same WF to front and rear? :-k

And I guess we will need amps as well, for example with these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qz4hB0L0qGC/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52100&I=065SX60
or HU will be enough to power them ?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Componets mean that the woofer and tweeter are seperate and included the necessary crossover that you will need. Powering the rear of the head units is easy. You will have to splice the Rear speakers input to the Rear speakers output on the connector that connects to the amp. The front speakers is a little more work (thats why you will want components).

grape8pe

Reaction score
Another question, does the stock headunit (with the premium setup) put out any power to the speakers? If I were to buy a aftermarket component set, would the stock headunit power them, or would I be required to buy a seperate amp?

Brice

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume same answer applies to me, if I get component setup with my kenwood.

grape8pe

Reaction score
billforde said:
Yes the stock head unit will power them. It just wont be as loud as it is now.

Looks like the stock head-unit powers 16.5W / channel (total 66 watts) RMS with 3% harmonic distortion. How much power does the premium amp attached to the speaker add? I googled the questions, but wasn't able to find anything.

Brice

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never found the specs for the amps, but i doubt its much base on the size. After market HUs may provide as much power as the stock hu/amp combo. I went with the seperate amp(s) to power my speakers since i dont have a HU.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know, I brought in the Jeep to be wired up with the new Polks. I had the premium. No matter what they did, they couldnt get sound to come through the rears without the amps in. They troubleshooted and eventually broke out the amp meter. There was absolutely no power being sent back there. As a result, I'm looking into head units tonight so maybe it can be done by this weekend.