Premium Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm glad I didn't have the premium system, it seems like it's alot more complicated!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
I think I'm glad I didn't have the premium system, it seems like it's alot more complicated!

It is. It's stupid!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. So you were using stock rear woofers but polks up front.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I don't get it. So you were using stock rear woofers but polks up front.

No i tried to replace all the speakers with Polks. I just ordered a new Kenwood HU with a steering wheel control module so I can start over.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the reason that you didnt get power to the rear speakers is because you didnt know how to rewire it to bypass the amp. Even with a new HU you may not get power to the rear till you rewire.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
I think the reason that you didnt get power to the rear speakers is because you didnt know how to rewire it to bypass the amp. Even with a new HU you may not get power to the rear till you rewire.

I'm having the entire thing rerun with (I think) 18 gage wire.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we already mentioned that there is no way to use the existing wiring to use any aftermarket speakers and that you would have to run new wires. The rear speaker wiring is set up to get power from front amps like bill mentioned, that's why there was no sound.

What Kenwood did you get and who is wiring you up?
Good luck and let us know the results. :)

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I think we already mentioned that there is no way to use the existing wiring to use any aftermarket speakers and that you would have to run new wires.
Thats not completely true. I used the existing wiring (i have/had the premium system), to power the rear speakers. I do plan to finish running all new wiring in the summer though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
But aren't they just lower powered duplicates of fronts and I thought there were no wires coming from HU direct to the rears to power them up (unless you can tap into the existing wiring & continue the wires from fronts but that needs some precision handling)

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power to the front and rear are the same. The thing is to remember is that with the premium system, output for the front and rear goes to the front doors, and from there its feed to the rear speakers. All you have to do is, in the front door, cut the wires that handle the rear speakers and directly connect them to the rear signal that goes into the amp.

For the 2004 the color wires that need to be connected together is.

Left Front Door:
Connect Brown/Yellow to White/Red
Connect Brown/Lt Blue to White/Black

Right Front Door:
Connect Dark Blue/White to Tan/Violet
Connect Dark Blue/Orange to Tan/Black

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
cut the wires that handle the rear speakers and directly connect them to the rear signal that goes into the amp.

Yes that's what I was referring to. And thanks for the color info. I have to get my darn door panel removed first :) Let me get that tool you mentioned from crutchfield.