Premium Gas Woke Up My KJ!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a higher octane rated gas to a stock jeep is like buying diamonds and roses for a ******. Sure you can do it but the job is gonna be the same.

The only reason you need a higher octane is if you are experiencing knock, detonation or diesling of the motor. If you are getting those things on the stock KJ engine then something is wrong. Be it carbon build up or warn bearings, something is wrong.

Never underestimate the power of the mind to trick you into thinking you have more power. I have seen it time and time again when i owned my SRT4. Guys would talk and brag about there new found power(after installing parts), then hit the dyno or track and find out there car is unchanged or even slower. The biggest one is always a loud exhaust. People "feel" like they gained a ton, but really got nothing.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially when your manual says "USE CHEAP GAS" on big bold letters. Well not big bold letters, but it says why pay more when your engine is designed to run around lower octane petrol.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Using a less expensive fuel means more money for other mods!!!!

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Octane rating of fuel is the detonation resistance. It allows you to run a higher compression or more advanced timing. A stock 3.7 does not need high octane gas. Some modified 3.7's do, such as mine, but it has a custom aggressive flash from B&G with the timing advanced.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding a higher octane rated gas to a stock jeep is like buying diamonds and roses for a ******. Sure you can do it but the job is gonna be the same.

LOL.......now there's a heck of a comparison......LOL

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well, I put 93 in mine for a change and it really felt like it ran better. I won't do it again for a while but it did make an improvement. This could have been it just running cleaner but idk.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to my new found owners manual it says use high grade 87 octain. Use 89 in hot weather towing or hilly terrain. "use of premium gasoline is not recomended will provide no benefit and in some circumwtances may result in poorer performance" i am going to downgrade to 89 and use fuel system treatment in everyother tank or two.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to my new found owners manual it says use high grade 87 octain. Use 89 in hot weather towing or hilly terrain. "use of premium gasoline is not recomended will provide no benefit and in some circumwtances may result in poorer performance" i am going to downgrade to 89 and use fuel system treatment in everyother tank or two.

If you use a name brand gas in 87 octaine you should be ok. Branded gas might have a better detergent package than the no-name stuff.....maybe. At least you will know what you are buying anyway.

As far as putting stuff in the gas tank, a bottle of "Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 6 months should be fine unless you are driving an awful lot of miles, then maybe more often.

Just my opinion.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Careful on the repeated use of fuel additives, some can hose your O2 sensors.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But that's not what the number on the gas pump denotes. It's a rating system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to detonation (engine knocking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. High-performance engines typically have higher compression ratios and are therefore more prone to detonation, so they require higher octane fuel. A lower-performance engine will not generally perform better with high-octane fuel, since the compression ratio is fixed by the engine design.
[...]
An 87-octane gasoline, for example, possesses the same anti-knock rating of a mixture of 87% (by volume) iso-octane and 13% (by volume) n-heptane. This does not mean, however, that the gasoline actually contains these hydrocarbons in these proportions. It simply means that it has the same detonation resistance as the described mixture.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you use a name brand gas in 87 octaine you should be ok. Branded gas might have a better detergent package than the no-name stuff.....maybe. At least you will know what you are buying anyway.

As far as putting stuff in the gas tank, a bottle of "Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 6 months should be fine unless you are driving an awful lot of miles, then maybe more often.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Stay away from Sam's Club and Wal Mart gas. Both my vehicles (mainly the Durango) don't run as smooth on their gas.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill use Lucas fuel sys cleaner ever two or three tank fulls. I need to swit h to shnth oil wirh Lucas synth stabilizer, a K&N oil filter and synth oil.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucas synth stabilizer, a K&N oil filter and synth oil.

You do NOT need the Lucas garbage with any oil, let alone synthetic. The synthetic oil would give much better performance by itself.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do NOT need the Lucas garbage with any oil, let alone synthetic. The synthetic oil would give much better performance by itself.

I have a bottle of Lucas I just found in the garage. Anyone that wants it can come over and get it free.........before I throw it out.

Dave