Premium Gas Woke Up My KJ!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Yesterday I changed my oil, and when I went out to town to fill up with gas, I thought well I think I'm gonna get premium because it only ended up being 4 more dollars. So as I pulled out on the road after filling up I guess the premium gas just made it through the lines to the motor and all of a sudden the motor just livened up and felt so much stronger and ran so much smoother! It felt like i had a brand new motor! I was really surprised and we'll see if premium actually gets you better mpgs.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be your oil change, not the premium gas.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you got a serious knocking issue, i cant see premium making a difference

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I changed my oil, and when I went out to town to fill up with gas, I thought well I think I'm gonna get premium because it only ended up being 4 more dollars. So as I pulled out on the road after filling up I guess the premium gas just made it through the lines to the motor and all of a sudden the motor just livened up and felt so much stronger and ran so much smoother! It felt like i had a brand new motor! I was really surprised and we'll see if premium actually gets you better mpgs.
Depending on how you drive and extra stuff on/in your KJ premium will be better.I only use premium,get a knock with 85 octane here at 6000'.When I'm home in SD I use 93 octane premium and my KJ runs like a rapped ape:D.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
well it could have been the oil change but it didn't kick in until i filled up with gas, which was about 20 miles after the oil change but IDK lol regardless my 3.7 is much happier now lol

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried 89 or 93 octaine mixed with a partial tank of 87 octaine for towing on a couple of ocasions. I didn't notice a real difference. I never tried a straight tank of the higher octaine. I normally just use 87 octaine with no issues.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that you shouldn't use 93 unless specified in the manual or something...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You've got it kinda backwards. If you car requires premium then you shouldn't use anything UNDER premium or you could face engine damage. If your car requires a minimum of regular, you can use whatever you wish.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the higher octane burns better, leaves less residue, kinda like a small hit of NOS. can be damaging to older engines but it helps clean it out too.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a note.. Higher octane fuel is not meant to add power or anything like that. It just simply has more octane(less heptane) so that it doesnt ignite due to pressure(heat produced from friction of compression) before the spark plug sparks.. Thats all..

The only time a fuel is meant to add performance is when it gets over 100% octane..

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a note.. Higher octane fuel is not meant to add power or anything like that. It just simply has more octane(less heptane) so that it doesnt ignite due to pressure(heat produced from friction of compression) before the spark plug sparks.. Thats all..

The only time a fuel is meant to add performance is when it gets over 100% octane..

Exactly. People fail to realize that higher octane = more difficult to burn. The reason it's associated with performance is because you want fuel that won't ignite easily when you're running higher compression or some power adder (which performance engines do). If you run low octane fuel in a "performance engine", you'll get knock.

To be optimum, you want to run the lowest octane fuel you can that doesn't cause knock.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Export models are tuned for any octane rating starting from 91RON... In my country the lowest octane rating available is 93RON. We have 93, 95 and 97...
I use just 93 b/c it's cheaper and it octane rating is high enough for the KJ... :D

Cheers :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
For the sake of talking about the subject, my scooter has a 12:1 Compression Ratio. I've run it on regular, midgrade and premium.

Believe me, it runs best on premium due to that compression ratio.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Usually, I just use 87. On hot days (like 100+) I'll use mid grade, but otherwise, no.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you increase the octane, then it will feel a little different.....your burning more octane?????

Uhm, octane isn't a 'thing', it's a fuel rating system. It's like the USDA rating on eggs. When you eat AAA eggs, vs AA eggs, you're not eating more 'A'.

Or wait, you're messing with us, and I missed the joke?