Powertrax - 2 slotted spacers & drivers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a couple of days and learned a boatload. My '05 KJ has been just waiting for some upgrades, and I decided to go with a Powertrax No-Slip in the rear. In the literature there was an addendum stating that it "may contain" 2 slotted spacers and 2 slotted drivers. Indeed, this is what I received.

The instructions specifically refer to there being only 1 slotted set - so this was a little bit of a curve ball, and a key item they could have mentioned would be if the "slots" would be facing the same way ("out" at the same time, for example) or be 180 degrees off. I THINK there is only 1 way it could be assembled because of the integral pins, but I was just curious if anyone else has done an install of the 2 slotted setup and which way the slots lined up. Mine are facing the same way. It started raining and lightning here tonight during my install, so I got 95% done and will finish tomorrow, but just wanted a buddy check on this, if you will. I also left a message with Richmond to see if they call me back with their input.

Thanks in advance for the input, I hope to become an active member of this kick-ass Liberty community!

Cheers,
Jamie

'05 Liberty rolling on 245/75's, 2.5" spacer lift, ARB Front w/ OEM skids underneath - Skink Super Sliders (coming soon)

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call back from the tech guys, and indeed you can't do it backwards / 180 degrees off like I figured. So the 2 slots point the same way.

I took the Libby out for a gentle test, all was good, then got on it on sandy pavement. Dual skid marks from the rear! Woot. I am planning to go on a medium trail here in Colorado on Sunday, and with forecast calling for wet and snow Saturday, I will come back with a ride report / Powertrax evaluation next week.

Cheers,
Jamie

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my Powertrax no-slip I had in my Ranger. I am SO wanting to put a locker in my Jeep. Just don't have the funds or the need presently, as it has turned into my recreational vehicle. I bought a Fiesta to replace it as my DD due to the horrible gas mileage these things get. I didn't expect it to be great when I bought it, but it was 3-5 MPG lower than I would've thought. Even still, since it's paid off, it only made sense to get something with better MPG's. I'm basically paying for the Fiesta in the fuel savings (I'm easily getting 36-37MPG right now, and could get over 40 if I'd actually lay off the throttle...lol)

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could maybe start a new thread for this but I wanted to come back with a report of the PowerTrax / ride report. We had some snowfall here in Colorado last night / today up in the higher elevations and went off-road to a medium trail called Slaughterhouse Gultch. The PowerTrax lived up to my hopes! The trail itself is heralded as good for winter runs, but since the snow was on top of warmer soil, I wasn't sure how the Liberty would do - I was not let down.

The following videos highlight the hardest obstacle on the trail. After a Dodge Ram pickup got hungup on the hill and he was winched off, I went back down to attempt it.

Here is video shot with a GoPro from the hood:

My 05 Jeep Liberty KJ on the hill at Slaugherhouse Gulch - YouTube

Here is the same exact run, shot by a trail buddy.

MVI_0992.avi - YouTube

Last one, promise;

Jamie's run - YouTube

Overall I have zero complaints about the locker. It took a few hours to install and made a huge difference over the open diff. Next up will be some sliders (already ordered, just waiting for delivery) and a new rear diff cover (should show up Monday, will do some time in the next month).

Cheers,
Jamie

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet!! :smokin::happy160:

That looked slippery with the snow on top of the sandy soil - you & your Libby just kept on climbing - Niiiiccce!

What rubber do you have on your Jeep & what size? They don't look like MT's - maybe an AT?

Looks like that locker paid off right away.

Bob

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob! The tires are BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A, 245/75R16's. They performed well enough, though I think airing down to 18psi was a tad low. They worked great going up, but flattened out a bit and going down on the slick snow was a bit hairy. More than once I was skiing down the hill with the wheels fully locked. Wet, heavy spring snow can be a challenge, especially going downhill.

Yep, the PowerTrax paid off immediately. I have only had it for a few days, but I think I am really going to like the unit. There was a fairly stock TJ with us that was open in the rear, and he struggled quite a bit on the trails (he didn't even attempt the hill in the video). After our ride he seems eager to put in some sort of locker!

Latest posts

Members online