Possible shift shaft seal leak??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Liberty Sport w/part time 4wd. I recently changed the fluids on the diffs and transfer case of my Liberty. When I changed the TC I noticed there was some oil built up, looked like a slow leak somewhere. I wasn't sure where but it was slow enough to not leave spots in the garage. After I changed it the leak got worse, bad enough to spray and coat the under side and rear of the Liberty. When I added new ATF+4 I filled it until it barely came to the fill hole, some just dribbled out a little. I was at first concerned that I over filled it. I crawled under it last night to check it out, and it appears to originate where the linkage goes in at the top. I searched this leak here and elsewhere, and that's how I determined that this might be where it is leaking from. I found however little information on how to correct this leak. Is this something a dealer should take care of, or is it do-able in my garage? No warranty left either. I appreciate any input, I'd like to take care if it ASAP.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a pic of the leak and post it here

also did you re-check the fluid level of the Transfercase?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the shift shaft seal it is almost a must to remove the t-case so you have room to get to it,also the front yoke needs to be removed.There are special seal removers/installers for those seals but finding them is extremely hard these days.Takes about 30-45mins to pull the t-case out of a KJ so not overly a hard job.

A tool like one in the link below is needed.

http://www.costplustools.com/Atec-T...tor-Shaft-Seal-Remover-Installer-_p_9289.html

Can be done without the tools but the failure rate is very high for the seal to fail agian from a scored shifter shaft or bent seal.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted back, I cancelled our internet and am going to try and use my phone for such needs. We'll see how that goes, trying to save a buck. Thanks for the input, it sounds like it will be too complicated for me to attempt. The local dealer looked at it tonight and is that particular seal. Takes about two hours and costs $210. I was expecting double that. I went ahead and booked the procedure. They gave me a sweet Dodge van to drive in the meantime.