Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update I have been meaning to check myself

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my dealer about it on Monday and all the whole crew of guys could do is laugh. They have a book 4 pages thick with a waiting list. He said it will probably be a year and a half or more before they will even get started.

vogonpoetry

Reaction score
I got my letter a while back (parts aren't in at the dealer yet though) but my Renegade has a stock skid plate over the tank. Something tells me I wont get a free hitch thanks to that. What do you guys think? Will that matter?

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just goes to prove that Chrysler needs to speed up this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my letter a while back (parts aren't in at the dealer yet though) but my Renegade has a stock skid plate over the tank. Something tells me I wont get a free hitch thanks to that. What do you guys think? Will that matter?

My Renegade has the gas tank skid plate too and the dealer told me mine is not effected, Must be because the skid plate because our gas tanks are in the exact same spot as every other liberty lol, Wouldn't mind getting a free trailer hitch though haha

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just goes to prove that Chrysler needs to speed up this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really what about GM and the ignition switches.
The KJ was built to government standards in effect then.It is still considered one of the safest in class. If people are so worried about being rear ended put a hitch and or tank skid and save receipts for Chrysler to cover.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With mine being lifted, I'm more likely to have a car slide under the rear of mine (not a truck though). I have a hitch & skid plate, so my odds of getting cremated are lessened. ;)

kevinsbluekj

Reaction score
Heard about that on the radio (I'm also local) this morning. Very sad to hear. I also agree that Chrysler needs to get the ball rolling faster on this so more deaths can be avoided. I'm not an engineer or anything like that but I can't see what is taking Chrysler so long since they already make/outsource a trailer hitch anyway. Just need to start making/outsourcing a whole lot more. Just my $.02 on the situation.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were on I-81, so the collision (I would guess) was at 65+ mph.

I'm sorry the couple was killed, but no matter what vehicle is rear-ended at highway speeds is going to explode.

And, as Cherrie stated, the Liberty exceeded the requirements in place when it was built - up to and including 2007. It simply doesn't pass the current standards, put in place LONG after that Liberty was built.

You can't be charged for an offense you committed prior to it being against the law, so why is Chrysler being charged by the gov't for the same thing? Laws cannot be retroactively applied, so why are standards?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
A little sensationalism and sloppy journalism as well. Notice the old coot they trotted out to emphasize the need for the recall ALREADY HAS a hitch? What's he plan to do, put TWO of them on there?

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little sensationalism and sloppy journalism as well. Notice the old coot they trotted out to emphasize the need for the recall ALREADY HAS a hitch? What's he plan to do, put TWO of them on there?

Drawing attention away from GM's recall issues.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score

Geez that was close to home. Surprised I missed it since I usually read that website every day.

They were on I-81, so the collision (I would guess) was at 65+ mph.

I'm sorry the couple was killed, but no matter what vehicle is rear-ended at highway speeds is going to explode.

And, as Cherrie stated, the Liberty exceeded the requirements in place when it was built - up to and including 2007. It simply doesn't pass the current standards, put in place LONG after that Liberty was built.

You can't be charged for an offense you committed prior to it being against the law, so why is Chrysler being charged by the gov't for the same thing? Laws cannot be retroactively applied, so why are standards?

I agree completely. Sort of like Mark McGwire and his androstenedione.

The GM thing on the other hand is complete crap on their part. Doesn't surprise me at all. I swore off GMs when I got screwed on the 3.4L intake gaskets and never looked back. I know none of them are perfect and there are plenty of greedy people just trying to save their ***** but some things are just criminal.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deeply sorry for the couple that died. But like other I think this is stupid. When I was young my aunt ( I believe it was a Toyota Tercel ) caught fire after a front crash that caused the fuel tank to crack open. It's normal it can happen from a rear crash and it's still pretty rare.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like how Ford Crown Vics have well over 1000 fires from rear end collisions but that get's swept under the carpet since 99% of them were police cruisers.

Sorry but you get rear ended from a vehicle at highway speeds anything can happen regardless of what vehicle your driving.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Like how Ford Crown Vics have well over 1000 fires from rear end collisions but that get's swept under the carpet since 99% of them were police cruisers.

Sorry but you get rear ended from a vehicle at highway speeds anything can happen regardless of what vehicle your driving.

Must...not...make...pig...roast...joke...