Possible BCM Replacement Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ms Rae

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L engine 4wd. The jeep runs fine enough but, most of the electronics in it are not working. I was told by a mechanic that I may need a body control module due to a short. I've seen some online but I need the part number. I can't see the number because it's covered. My question is how can I locate the part number or will I be able to? And if I can get the part how do I go about getting it programmed for my Jeep?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it is the BCM...they are pretty robust!
Probably a short in the wiring somewhere outside the BCM.

Unfortunately I do not have wiring or parts Fiche diagrams for the 2004 KJs.

What electrical problems are you having?

Have you checked all the fuses under the hood and on the internal fuse panel?

If you do replace the BCM you would need a Dealer to re-program it.o_O

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Interior, Driver's side kick panel fuse # 13 is BCM, but check all the fuses, & refer to your owners manual under fuses.
I prefer removing one fuse at a time and use a VOM for continuity to prove if a fuse is good or bad.
If they need wiring diagrams they could use the 2003 or 2005 FSM here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/
I have an 04 FSM if really needed.
The BCM is VERY particular when it comes to replacement time, it has separate additional codes added, for featured options.
If you really want the part number call the dealer & give them the VIN of your vehicle....
Also the BCM can be rebuilt by companies like: https://moduleexperts.com/modules/jeep-bcm-repair/

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can buy BCM all day long and just plug and play
I've done several , give the company your VIN, they program it and send it to you
Plug it in and go, go , go

Ms Rae

Reaction score
All fuses were checked by the mechanic and was told they were good.

The issues that I'm having are the speedometer, windows, and locks.

Thanks for your help.

Ms Rae

Reaction score
The locks aren't working using the key fob even after I changed out the battery.

Ms Rae

Reaction score
I just did the cluster reset and the speedometer still isn't working. Dial hands moved but when i drove it around the block to test it, i got nothing.

And just like the gentleman in the suggested thread, my cruise control isn't working as well. So it may possibly be a the speed sensor but, would that cause the engine light to come on? It's been on since we got it back from the mechanic. And I've been driving it ever since. I know I shouldn't be driving it like that but it's our only transportation right now.

As a matter of fact the engine light did blink on and off after i did the cluster reset.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If the speed sensor is shot the cruise wont work and it could throw a code/ engine light on.
Try the key trick on off on off on.. to read the P codes as mentioned in the previous link to obtain the trouble codes.
Blinking engine light bad news, could mean misfires was it running rough? Either way don't drive it that way.
Without starting the Jeep, the 04's ignition key trick can read the stored Problem codes, so do that, and post what codes it is reading though the odometer, where the mileage reading is.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This should help you.. how to obtain the P codes.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ms Rae

Reaction score
I would like to say thank you for this forum. I've learned quite a bit in this short period of time about my jeep. Thanks guys!

So i only had one p code pop up. It is P0501. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Can you tell me how to look it up?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes probably a loose connection on the sensor at the diff or the sensor is failing.

You may find that after fixing the problem the speedometer works but the Engine light stays ON!

I had this with the sensor on my 2002 Export CRD....after fixing a bad connector the speedometer worked but Engine light stayed on.
This light will go OFF by itself after a week or two of stop/start driving!;)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BCM on the KJ is located on the rear side of the internal fuse panel. On top of this unit is plugged a small module abut the size of a box of cigarettes. The 2006-7 models have this module built into the BCM.
This module is the RKE module..Remote Key Entry which unlocks the doors via the key fob/key.
Try re-plugging this module a few times.
Download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual here...should be close enough to the 2004 KJ!

You should find the error codes there which will guide you what the problem is and there are sections in the manual that explains different Modules such as the RKE and how they work.

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Page 8E-8 in this manual shows you the location of the RKE.

Last edited: