Speedometer Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddyo

Reaction score
This is my thanks to this forum!
About 40 miles into a 500 mile roundtrip, my speedo quit working. Cruise control would not work as well. Googled 'jeep liberty speedometer not working' and found this forum. Read the appropriate posts, etc. I did the instrument cluster reset (turn Jeep on while holding down trip odometer button) and I did the find the error code process (key to accessory, to off, to accessory, to off, to accessroy) and low and behold a P0500 error code. Wife got nervous and suggested (strongly) I take it to our local dealer. After several days of non-existent customer service they were able to tell me I had a P0500 error. Well, duh! They wanted $320 to replace the speed sensor (Yes, I had already pointed to that as the potential problem.) plus about $90 for their advanced diagnostic efforts. I needed my Jeep ('cause the wife's was in the body shop through no fault of her own), so ... I called AutoZone and they located the part and were going to hold it for me, I left work at 3:30, picked up the part, dropped off the rental, picked my Jeep back up (figuratively), replaced the sensor myself (I'm a desk jockey, what do I know from Jeep maintenance!), test drove it, and was in my easy chair sucking down some nice red wine by 6:00. Posts like I read in this forum gave me the confidence to tackle this myself, so THANK YOU!!! Oh, the AutoZone cost for the speed sensor was around $40...

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got it squared away. Just something else to check if/when you get the time (and if you didn't do it when you changed the sensor) - check the integrity of the wire running into the speed sensor over the rear differential. The wire sometimes likes to rub on the emergency brake cable. When the wire fails, it mimics the same symptoms that you had. I've had to replace the wiring twice on mine so far, but never the sensor (yet). The last time I replaced the wiring, I used some zip ties to anchor the wiring away from the brake cable... and so far so good. Was just a thought.

Oh, and (welcome) - the info and the people on this forum are very helpful!

And it's a Jeep... not a car. ;)

Julio Estrada

Reaction score
Need help to check the speed sensor wiring

Hi Yellocoyote,

My JK 2003 is experiencing the same issues described in this post. It should be a problem with the speed sensor wiring since ABS is not working and cruise control is not working either.

Well, you replied to check the wiring and replacing if needed. Would you have a guide or pictures describing how to do that? I would like to check it by myself since here in México no one seems to be familiar with that speed sensor wiring stuff.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Julio Estrada

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any pictures of speed sensor for kj or how we found out

The speed sensor is right on top of the rear differential. It is held in place with a 10mm bolt with a wire harness connected with a standard Chrysler connector. Slide the red tab to the side, depress the top of the harness and slide off. Remove the bolt, wiggle the sensor from side to side then lift out of the diff. DO NOT drive without the sensor as there will be a gaping hole right into the differential and road crud will be able to get into the gearing.

The sensor is used on other Chrysler products so fairly easily sourced - hopefully that's the case in Oz as well :waytogo:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online